Baseball Gameday: Wake Forest vs. Charlotte
The Demon Deacons return to Charlotte for an annual game at BB&T Ballpark, home of the Charlotte Knights.
March 12, 2018
The Last Meeting
April 18, 2017
• Wake Forest makes its annual trip to BB&T Ballpark, home of the Charlotte Knights - the Chicago White Sox’ AAA affiliate, on Tuesday night. The Demon Deacons will take on the Charlotte 49ers at 7 p.m.
Last Time Out
• Wake Forest won the series over No. 3 Florida State with a doubleheader sweep on Saturday, marking the third-straight season the Deacs have taken down a top-25 Seminoles team in a series.
• In the opener on Saturday, DJ Poteet blasted a walk-off, two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth for a 4-3 victory.
• A five-run second inning propelled Wake Forest to an 8-1 win in the nightcap, led by two RBIs apiece from Jake Mueller and Johnny Aiello.
• Saturday starters Colin Peluse and Morgan McSweeney combined to allow three runs on seven hits and two walks in 14.1 innings with 13 strikeouts.
Wake Forest Storylines
• Wake Forest is playing at Charlotte’s BB&T Ballpark for the third-consecutive season. The first time was a 10-7 win over App State in 2016. Last year, Wake Forest and Charlotte’s game was suspended and completed on the 49ers’ campus the next day. The Deacs won 13-4 behind Logan Harvey’s 4-for-4 effort with a grand slam and hitless outings from Colin Peluse and Carter Bach.
• Wake Forest has continued its recent ACC success, winning nine of the past 11 conference series dating back to 2017.
• The Demon Deacons have started six different freshmen position players, while five rookies have seen time on the mound.
• The Deacs are coming off their second Super Regional appearance, finishing a game away from the College World Series. Wake Forest finished the year with a 43-20 record and set program records in ACC wins (19), ACC series wins (eight), All-ACC honorees (nine), MLB Draft picks (eight) and home runs (106).
Opponent And Series History
• Charlotte enters with an 8-7 overall record. No. 19 East Carolina snapped the 49ers’ five-game winning streak with a series sweep over the weekend.
• The 49ers are hitting .312 as a team, led by Harris Yett (.393), Reece Hampton (.369) and Jackson Mims (.361).
• Wake Forest and Charlotte split a home-and-home series in 2017, with each team winning on the road.
• Wake Forest continues ACC play by playing host to No. 11 Louisville this weekend for a three-game series.