June 7, 2012
Williamson/Cooney Release | Lopez/Holmes Release | Blair/Dimock/McCoy Release
By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Media Relations (@SIDeacons)
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The 2012 Major League Baseball First Year Player Draft is in the books, as Wake Forest set a school record with six current players selected during the 40 rounds.
Mac Williamson, Tim Cooney, Carlos Lopez, Brian Holmes, Pat Blair and Michael Dimock were all current Deacons drafted, while incoming freshman Mark McCoy was also taken in the draft.
In addition to setting a school record, Wake Forest also had the third-most players drafted from the Atlantic Coast Conference, just behind Florida State and Clemson who each had seven players drafted.
"Having six players drafted is a testament to two things," said head coach Tom Walter. "One, we have a very talented ballclub. This speaks to our recruiting efforts and the level of player that the ACC and Wake Forest attract. As we win more, as our facility continues to improve and as we continue to represent more and more on draft day, this talent will get even better.
"Two, we are developing our players. Of the current players selected, not one of them was drafted before they got to Wake Forest. This speaks to the instruction of Dennis Healy
and Bill Cilento
provide and also to the work ethic our players display day in and day out. Our ballclub has bought into the system and the results are showing in the win column on draft day. This is a proud time for Wake Forest baseball, and the future is even brighter."
Here are some notes to help recap the 2012 MLB Draft:
Wake Forest Players Selected
- Mac Williamson - OF - 3rd Round - 115th pick - San Francisco Giants
- Tim Cooney - LHP - 3rd Round - 117th pick - St. Louis Cardinals
- Carlos Lopez - 3B - 12th Round - 384th pick - Washington Nationals
- Brian Holmes - LHP - 13th Round - 399th pick - Houston Astros
- Pat Blair - SS - 24th Round - 729th pick - Houston Astros
- Mark McCoy - LHP - 26th Round - 815th pick - Milwaukee Brewers (2012 Signee)
- Michael Dimock - RHP - 37th Round - 1,119th pick - Houston Astros
Astros Love the Deacs
- The Houston Astros selected three Demon Deacons in the 2012 Draft: Brian Holmes, Pat Blair and Michael Dimock.
- This marks the first time in Wake Forest history that three players were taken by one team in the same draft.
Williamson and Cooney Going High
- Mac Williamson and Tim Cooney are the first set of Demon Deacon teammates to be selected in the top three rounds since Kyle Sleeth and Jamie D'Antona achieved the feat in the 2003 draft.
- Sleeth was selected in the first round with the third overall pick, and D'Antona was selected in the second round with the 66th overall pick.
- Williamson was the seventh player selected from the ACC, while Cooney was the eighth.
ACC Guys Teaming Up with the Deacs
- Houston Astros - Brian Holmes, Pat Blair, Michael Dimock
- St. Louis Cardinals - Tim Cooney, James Ramsey (Florida State), Anthony Melchionda (Boston College), Ronnie Shaban (Virginia Tech)
- San Francisco Giants - Mac Williamson, E.J. Encinosa (Miami)
- Washington Nationals - Carlos Lopez, Spencer Kieboom (Clemson), Robert Benincasa (Florida State), Stephen Perez (Miami), R.C. Orlan (North Carolina), Michael Boyden (Maryland)
- The signing deadline for players selected in the MLB First Year Player Draft is 5 p.m. ET on July 13, 2012.