Wake Forest Falls to Virginia Tech, 83-75
Jan. 10, 2018

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader |  Quotes |  Photo Gallery 

By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMBB)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The Wake Forest men's basketball team suffered an 83-75 loss at the hands of Virginia Tech Wednesday evening at the LJVM Coliseum. The Demon Deacons dropped to 8-8 (1-3 ACC) on the season while the Hokies improved to 13-4 (2-2 ACC).

Brandon Childress led the Deacons and matched a career high with 17 points. It was the first time in Childress' career that he led the team in scoring, as all of his points were scored in the second half.

Doral Moore also had a strong night as he scored 12 points and pulled down 13 rebounds for his fourth double-double of the season.

After missing the Boston College game due to injury, Keyshawn Woods finished with 12 points. Bryant Crawford, rounding out the double-digit Deacs, finished with 10 points, bringing his career total to 1,200. Crawford also tallied four assists and is just 11 assists away from becoming the fifth Demon Deacon to amass at least 1,200 points at 400 assists in his career.

The Hokies opened the first half with an 8-0 run to take an early double-digit lead over the Deacons. The Deacs managed to cut the Hokies' lead back down to single digits, but Virginia Tech used another 6-0 run to take a 14-point lead with 12 minutes to go in the opening half. After trading baskets, the Deacons used back-to-back 3-pointers from Crawford and Woods to trim the lead to five with just over five minutes in the half. However, the Hokies outscored the Deacons 8-2 in the final two minutes to take a 45-30 lead into halftime. The 15-point deficit was the largest halftime deficit for the Deacons this season.

The Deacons opened the second half hot with a 7-0 run, forcing the Hokies to burn a timeout. After the Deacs trimmed the lead down to eight, the Hokies countered with a quick nine points to regain their 15-point lead and extend it to 17 with 12 minutes left. However, the Deacs would not back down and used an 11-1 run, capitalizing on a Hokies scoring drought, to cut Tech's lead back down to single digits. Back-to-back 3-pointers from Childress and a triple from Crawford further clipped the lead to six at the under eight media time out before a pair of free throws from Childress to cut the lead to four. Virginia Tech would go on to seal the game at the free throw line, going 6-for-6 in the final minute to secure the 83-75 victory.

Olivier Sarr matched a career high with eight points on 4-for-5 shooting from the field while Mitchell Wilbekin finished with nine points.

Up next, the Demon Deacons travel to Durham to face No. 7 Duke on Saturday. Tip at Cameron Indoor Stadium is set for noon and will air on ACC Network affiliates.



Women's Football Camp