Yellow Jackets Hold Off Demon Deacons 79-70
Travis McKie led Wake Forest with a career-high 26 points

Feb. 1, 2014

Final Stats |  Quotes |  Photo Gallery  | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Alex Botoman, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@TieDyeNation)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Georgia Tech staved off a late comeback attempt from Wake Forest to beat the Demon Deacons 79-70 on Saturday at LJVM Coliseum.

Playing without leading scorer Codi Miller-McIntyre who suffered an ankle injury in the closing seconds of the first half, the Demon Deacons (14-8, 4-5 ACC) cut the Yellow Jackets' lead to five points with three minutes left and had the ball, but an offensive foul call killed Wake Forest's momentum, allowing Georgia Tech (12-10, 3-6 ACC) to escape with the win.

Travis McKie scored a career-high 26 points, 18 of them in the second half to spark Wake Forest's comeback attempt. The senior shot a perfect 11-of-11 from the free throw line and 6-of-10 from the field. He is the first Demon Deacon to shoot 100 percent from the charity stripe with at least 11 attempts since Justin Gray went 13-of-13 against Wisconsin in 2005.

Miller-McIntyre scored 10 points in the first half before his injury. While going for a loose ball with four seconds left in the opening period, he was pulled down by Marcus Georges-Hunt who landed on his ankle, injuring it.

Devin Thomas grabbed nine rebounds, scored seven points and dished out four assists. Arnaud William Adala Moto scored eight points, including a 6-of-7 mark from the free throw line, and Madison Jones also had eight.

Overall, Wake Forest shot 81.8 percent (27-of-33) from the free throw line in a foul-filled game, the Deacons' best mark of the season.

Georges-Hunt led Georgia Tech with 23 points, Daniel Miller had 16 and Chris Bolden had 12.

The Yellow Jackets shot 49.1 percent in the game while holding the Demon Deacons to only 40.8 percent shooting.

Georgia Tech came out of the gate strong to build a five-point lead in the opening minutes, but Wake Forest fought back midway through the first half to take its first lead 18-17.

The Deacons would go in front by as many as three points on a three-point play by Adala Moto, but the Jackets regained control in the final minutes of the half taking their biggest lead of the game to that point at 41-34 on a circus shot at the buzzer by Bolden.

Georgia Tech got off to another strong start in the second period, scoring the first six points to push its lead to double figures.

The Demon Deacons made two runs at the Yellow Jackets in the second half, both killed by the tweet of the whistle on offense.

With 15 minutes remaining, Coron Williams knocked down a transition 3-pointer that would have cut the Georgia Tech lead to four points, but after consultation, the officials waved off the basket, ruling that Tyler Cavanaugh had grabbed the net before the ball went through the hoop.

After Georgia Tech again went in front by double digits, a 3-pointer by McKie capped off a 5-0 run that cut the advantage to 69-65 with 3:16 left and the Deacons looked for more. A McKie block got the Deacons the ball back, but as Adala Moto slashed to the basket on the ensuing possession he was called for a push-off. The Yellow Jackets went on to score the next four points, leaving the Deacons without time for another comeback.

Wake Forest will return to action on Tuesday when it travels to take on No. 17/16 Duke at 9 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The game will be broadcast on ESPNU and can also be heard on the Wake Forest IMG Sports Network.



Louisville vs. Wake Forest Football