No. 25 Miami Pulls Away Late to Top Deacs, 87-81
Feb. 7, 2018

Final Stats |Final Box (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader | Photo Gallery 

By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMBB)

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The Wake Forest men's basketball team's upset bid over No. 25 Miami fell short, 87-81, Wednesday evening at the Watsco Center.

Four Demon Deacons (9-15, 2-10 ACC) finished with double-digit points but the Hurricanes (18-5, 7-4 ACC) sealed the back-and-forth game at the free throw line, sinking six in the final 37 seconds to take the victory.

Bryant Crawford recorded 23 points, his sixth 20-point game of the season, to go along with seven assists. Crawford has now dished out 433 career assists, the second-most by a Deacon in school history through his junior year.

Chaundee Brown totaled 20 points, his fourth double-digit game of conference play and eighth of the season. Three of his four 20-point games this season have come in ACC contests.

Doral Moore recorded his eighth double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Moore has now recorded double-figure boards in seven-straight conference games, the second-longest streak in program history. He sits one game behind Tim Duncan's eight-game streak in 1996-97.

Moore also recorded his 100th career block to become the 15th Demon Deacon in history to do so and the sixth to accomplish the feat before his senior season.

Keyshawn Woods also chipped in double-digits, finishing with 10 points.

Terrence Thompson opened scoring for both teams with a putback layup in the first minute of play. From there, the teams continued to trade baskets, combining for two ties and three lead changes within the first four minutes of play. The Hurricanes managed to build up a five-point lead before back-to-back jumpers from Olivier Sarr and Woods knocked the lead to one with 13 minutes to go. However, the Canes then scored six quick points off a triple from Lonnie Walker and a trio of free throws from Chris Lykes to take a 20-13 advantage. Miami continued to keep Wake Forest at arm's length, taking a 25-17 lead and forcing the Deacs into a timeout with eight minutes to play. Down 10, the Deacons managed to trim the lead to four, but Miami would take a 35-31 edge into halftime.

The Deacons went 14-for-32 from the field in the opening half compared to 13-for-30 for the Hurricanes. The difference in score came from the free throw line, where the Hurricanes went 6-for-8 and the Deacs did not earn an attempt. It marked the first half this season the Deacs did not have a free throw attempt.

A 3-pointer from Brown early in the second half cut Miami's lead to just two, 38-36. Crawford was fouled beyond the arc and went to the free throw line for the first time of the game for the Deacons with just under 17 minutes remaining. After trimming Miami's lead to just one, Crawford then stole the ball and went coast-to-coast to give the Deacs their first lead since 16:27 remaining in the first half, at 41-40.

After the Deacons took their lead, the teams spent most of the second half in a back-and-forth battle that saw neither team hold more than a two-possession lead. However, a fast 7-0 run from the Hurricanes pushed them to a 61-53 lead with under six minutes to play. Brown recorded a three-point play to end Miami's run, but another five quick points gave the Canes a double-digit lead with five minutes remaining in the contest.

Down 13 with under three minutes to go, the Deacs used huge baskets from Crawford, Moore and Brown to cut the lead to six at 77-71 with one minute to play. Miami extended its lead to eight before a triple from Crawford with 39 seconds to go cut the edge back down to five. Another 3-pointer from Crawford with 31 seconds to go trimmed the margin to just three, at 82-79. However, the Hurricanes sunk six free throws in the final seconds to put the game out of reach for the Deacons, who fell 87-81.

The Demon Deacons wrap up their two-game road trip at Syracuse on Sunday. Tip is set for 1 p.m. on ACC Network affiliates.