Deacs' Comeback at Syracuse Falls Short, 78-70
Feb. 11, 2018

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

Final Stats (PDF)

By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMBB)

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Bryant Crawford matched a season high with 24 points as Wake Forest fell to Syracuse, 78-70, Sunday afternoon at the Carrier Dome.

Down 14 with 11 minutes to play in the second half, the Demon Deacons (9-16, 2-11 ACC) cut the Orange (17-8, 6-6 ACC) lead down to just two with four minutes to play before Syracuse put the game out of reach at the free throw line.

Bryant Crawford matched a season-high with 24 points to go along with seven assists. Crawford has now amassed 1,361 career points, moving him up to the 25th spot on the all-time career scoring list

Doral Moore finished with his ninth double-double of the season and fifth of conference play on 16 points and 16 rebounds. Moore has now recorded double-digit boards in eight-straight ACC contests, matching Tim Duncan for the longest such streak in program history.

In his first game back after sustaining an injury before the Louisville game, Mitchell Wilbekin finished with 13 points on 4-for-5 shooting, all of which came from beyond the arc in the second half. He moves up to sixth all-time in career 3-pointers with 186, surpassing Taron Downey who had 184 from 2002-05.

Keyshawn Woods also chipped in 12 points for the Deacs while Brandon Childress matched a career high with five assists.

After Brown opened scoring for both teams on a baseline jumper, Syracuse used a 7-0 run to take an early lead. Moore countered with back-to-back dunks to trim the Orange lead down to one and then sunk a pair of free throws to give the Deacons an 8-7 edge. However, the Orange then used a 6-0 run of their own to take a five-point advantage at 13-8 midway through the first half. Up 16-13, Syracuse hit back-to-back triples to take a 22-13 lead with just under six minutes to play, forcing Wake Forest into a timeout. The Orange kept the Deacs at arm's length the remainder of the opening half, taking a double-digit lead into halftime, 31-21.

Crawford led the Deacs with 10 points in the first half while Moore had eight points and seven rebounds.

The Orange extended their lead to 13 early in the second half before the Demon Deacons cut the deficit to single digits with a 6-0 run. Syracuse countered and managed to build up its largest lead of the game at 50-36 with 11 minutes to play. However, the Deacs got hot in the field, with Crawford, Wilbekin and Woods combining for five three-pointers in a span of two minutes to trim the lead to five, 56-51, with just over eight minutes to play. A quick 5-0 run gave the Orange another double-digit lead before another Wilbekin triple cut it to 61-54 at the under-8 timeout. Though Syracuse extended its lead once again, the Deacons would not back down, using a 6-0 run to cut the lead to four and force the Orange into a timeout. A Crawford layup then trimmed the lead to two, 65-63, with four minutes to play but the Deacons could not complete the comeback and fell 78-70.

Up next, the Demon Deacons return to the LJVM Coliseum on Feb. 14 to play Georgia Tech. Tip is set for 9 p.m. on Regional Sports Networks.