Late Shot Lifts Notre Dame Past Deacs, 76-71
Feb. 24, 2018

Final Stats |Final Stats (PDF) Get Acrobat ReaderQuotes |  Photo Gallery 

By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMBB)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - A late 3-pointer from Notre Dame's Matt Farrell lifted the Fighting Irish past Wake Forest, 76-71, in the Demon Deacons' home finale Saturday afternoon.

With the scored tied at 71-all with a minute to go, Farrell netted a 3-pointer with eight seconds left to put the Fighting Irish (17-12, 7-9 ACC) up 74-71. Martinas Geben then stole the Demon Deacons' (11-18, 4-13 ACC) inbound pass with 3.6 seconds remaining before being fouled by Brandon Childress. Geben sank a pair of free throws with two seconds remaining to give the Irish the 76-71 victory.

Keyshawn Woods recorded his 1,000th career point on a jumper with 12 minutes to play in the first half. Woods entered with 999 points, 270 from his freshman season at Charlotte and 729 at Wake Forest. Woods finished with 12 points and a season-high six assists.

Childress matched a career high with three 3-pointers to finish with 13 points, his 10th double-digit game off the bench this season. Childress also matched a career high with five rebounds.

Mitchell Wilbekin matched a career high with four 3-pointers and finished his Senior Day with 14 points.

Chaundee Brown finished with 12 points after going 5-for-8 from the field, his first double-digit performance since Feb. 7 at Miami.

Britton Anderson opened scoring for both teams with a pair of free throws, recording his first two career points. Childress then gave the Deacons an early 5-0 lead with an open 3-pointer. The Deacs held the Irish scoreless until TJ Gibbs put Notre Dame on the board with a pair of free throws three minutes into the contest. The Irish tied the game at 12-all before back-to-back jumpers from Bryant Crawford and Woods gave the Deacons their edge back. Notre Dame continued to fight for the lead and used a four-point run to take its first lead of the game at 24-23 with under seven minutes to play. However, Childress quickly countered with his second 3-pointer to give the Deacons the advantage. The Deacs either held the lead or were tied for the remainder of the opening frame and used a Wilbekin triple as time expired to take a 41-36 edge into halftime.

Woods, Childress and Brown paced the Deacons with eight points each in the first half. Six of Childress' points came from beyond the arc while Woods went 4-for-5 from the field. Brown went 4-for-6 from the floor while also pulling down three rebounds.

Brown split a pair of free throws to extend the Deacons' lead to 42-36 before a 3-pointer from Notre Dame cut it back down to three to start the second half. The Irish then went on an 8-0 run to take a 47-44 lead and force the Deacs into a timeout. Doral Moore stopped the run with a jumper and Childress hit his third triple of the night to give the Deacons the lead. From there, the Deacs outscored the Irish 7-2 and forced Notre Dame into a timeout with 14 minutes to play. Out of the break, Wilbekin netted a huge 3-pointer to give the Deacs an eight-point edge at 59-51. Notre Dame cut the margin in half, but a layup from Crawford and a triple from Brown gave the Deacons their largest advantage of the day at 69-60 and forced Notre Dame to burn another timeout.

However, the Irish fought back and used an 8-0 run of their own to trim the Deacs' lead to just one with four minutes to pay and extended that run to 11-0 to regain a 71-69 advantage. Woods snapped the run and tied the game at 71-all on a pair of free throws. From there, Farrell hit the triple to put the game out of reach for the Deacs.

Wilbekin, Terrence Thompson, Woods, Troy Rike, Anderson and managers Tristan Kuna and Tommy Eames were honored in a pregame ceremony for Senior Day. Rike and Anderson made their first career starts while Anderson recorded his first career block and rebound to go along with his two points.

The Demon Deacons committed just six turnovers and have now tallied six or fewer turnovers in three of the last four games.

Up next, the Demon Deacons will play their regular-season finale at Georgia Tech on March 3. Tip is set for noon on ACC Network.



NCAA Tennis Gear