Demon Deacons Rally to Beat Tigers 62-57
Travis McKie became only the eighth player in school history with 1,600 points and 800 rebounds

Feb. 25, 2014

Final Stats |  Quotes |  Photo Gallery  | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Alex Botoman, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@TieDyeNation)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Four Demon Deacons scored in double figures as Wake Forest erased a 10-point first half deficit to take down Clemson 62-57 on Tuesday at LJVM Coliseum.

Trailing 30-20 late in the opening period, Wake Forest exploded for a 15-4 run that spanned halftime to retake control of the game. After a second half that featured six ties and five lead changes, the Demon Deacons finally pulled away from the Tigers (17-10, 8-7 ACC) thanks to a 13-2 spurt down the stretch and solid free throw shooting that put the game away.

Devin Thomas and Tyler Cavanaugh led the Demon Deacons with 12 points apiece with Thomas also adding five rebounds.

Arnaud William Adala Moto had 11 points, four rebounds and a career-high four assists. The sophomore from Cameroon sparked Wake Forest's key run late in the second half, scoring five straight points that included an old fashioned 3-point play and a thunderous dunk.

Codi Miller-McIntyre also hit double figures with a stat-stuffing performance of 10 points, six assists and five rebounds.

Travis McKie scored eight points and grabbed five rebounds, including his 800th career rebound. He is only the eighth player in Wake Forest history and the first since Eric Williams to total 1,600 points and 800 rebounds in a career.

Wake Forest was consistently good on offense throughout the game, shooting at least 50 percent in both halves and finishing the game at 55.3 percent from the field. The Demon Deacons switched to a zone defense for much of the second half and the move paid off as they held the Tigers to only 35.7 percent second-half shooting.

It was a tale of two halves on the boards as the Tigers dominated the Deacons 16-6 in the first period before Wake Forest turned things around in the second half to outrebound Clemson 19-11.

Damarcus Harrison led Clemson with 15 points while Rod Hall and K.J. McDaniels scored 10 each.

The teams traded buckets through much of the first half before Clemson went on a 9-0 run in the closing minutes of the period to take its biggest lead at 30-20. The Deacons scored the last three points of the half on free throws by Codi Miller-McIntyre, sending the Tigers to the locker room with a 30-23 lead.

Those last three points by Miller-McIntyre combined with the halftime break proved to be the spark that the Deacons needed as they started the second period on an 11-4 run to take the lead for the first time since the opening minutes.

The Tigers didn't fold though as the teams went back-and-forth through the first 10 minutes of the final period. Wake Forest's key spark came courtesy of Adala Moto who finished off an old fashioned 3-point play midway through the period and followed it with a huge fast break dunk on the next possession to start a 13-2 run that gave the Demon Deacons their biggest lead at 55-46.

After late 3-pointers brought the Tigers to within striking distance with less than two minutes remaining, Miller-McIntyre grabbed the rebound of a missed Clemson free throw and dashed the other way, finishing through a Hall foul and making the bonus free throw to push the Wake Forest advantage to 59-54.

With Clemson forced to foul late, Cavanaugh and McKie made 3-of-4 free throws to put the game away.

The Demon Deacons will remain home to take on Boston College on Saturday at 4 p.m. at LJVM Coliseum. The game will be broadcast on the ACC's Regional Sports Networks and can also be heard on the Wake Forest IMG Sports Network.



Louisville vs. Wake Forest Football