Deacons Drop Hard-Fought 62-60 Decision to Richmond
Tyler Cavanaugh finished with 10 points and three rebounds against Richmond

Dec. 1, 2012

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Alex Botoman, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

RICHMOND, Va. - Richmond used near-perfect second-half free throw shooting to hold off Wake Forest 62-60 on Saturday at the Robins Center in Richmond, Va.

The Demon Deacons (3-4) held a number of leads in the second half, but were never able to pull away by more than a point, and the Spiders (6-2) made their first 17 second-half free throws before intentionally missing the final one with 1.9 seconds left to close out the game.

Devin Thomas led the Demon Deacons with 11 points and also grabbed six rebounds. Tyler Cavanaugh also hit double figures with 10 points. Travis McKie was the Deacons' leading rebounder with eight boards, and also added two assists.

The Demon Deacons did not turn the ball over once in the last 17:48 of the game and outshot the Spiders 43 percent to 38 percent. But the difference came at the free throw line, where despite going 20-of-26, Wake Forest was edged by Richmond, which went 24-of-28.

Richmond's Derrick Williams led all scorers with 26 points, 13 of them coming from the free throw line, and also grabbed 10 rebounds to record a double-double.

The two teams traded blows for much of the first half. The Spiders drew first blood with a 3-pointer to start the game before McKie gave the Demon Deacons their first lead on a 3-pointer to make the score 9-7 in Wake Forest's favor.

After Richmond again took the lead, Madison Jones tied the score at 15-15 with a monster dunk over a Spider defender. The play was set up by Aaron Rountree III, who took on two Richmond defenders before dishing to Jones for the slam.

The Spiders went on a 6-0 run late in the first half to lead by as many as seven points, but the Deacons came back strong in the period's final minutes to pull within three points at 32-29. Devin Thomas sparked the run with a powerful drive to the basket for a layup and a hustle play finished it off as Codi Miller-McIntyre forced a steal with one second left and missed a jumper, but Rountree was there to tip in the offensive rebound as the buzzer sounded.

Thomas made an early second-half layup to cut the lead to 32-31, but on the other end of the court he was called for a foul and then a technical foul on top of it, and Richmond made all four free throws to expand its advantage to five points.

The Spiders' lead expanded to as many as nine points at 44-35, but the Demon Deacons went on an 8-0 run, six of the points coming from Rountree, to draw within a point at 44-43 midway through the final period.

The Deacons took their first lead of the second half at the 6:41 mark when Miller-McIntyre knocked down a mid-range jumper to put Wake Forest in front 49-48.

The lead changed hands four more times down the stretch before a big three-pointer by the Richmond's Kendall Anthony put the Spiders in front 57-54 with 1:11 left. Richmond intentionally fouled Wake Forest every time it crossed midcourt to negate the possibility of a tying three-pointer, and with the Spiders' perfect free throw shooting on the other end, the Deacons were unable to overcome the lead.

Wake Forest will return to action on Wednesday when it hosts High Point at 7 p.m. at Joel Coliseum. The game can be watched on ESPN3 and can be heard on the Wake Forest IMG College Sports Network.



Baseball Games