Maryland Shuts Out No. 19 Wake Forest 26-0

Oct. 18, 2008

Final Stats |  Notes |  Photo Gallery   | Final Stats 

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Maryland's defense suffocated the Wake Forest offense and held the Demon Deacons scoreless for the first time in over ten years in a 26-0 victory Saturday afternoon in front of 46,257 fans at Chevy Chase Field.

The victory for Maryland (5-2, 2-1 ACC) creates a logjam at the top of the ACC Atlantic Division. Maryland, Florida State and Wake Forest (4-2, 2-1 ACC) are now all 2-1 in the conference.

The Maryland defense held Wake to just 219 yards of total offense and it was the first time the Deacons were shutout since a 42-0 setback at Air Force on Sept. 5, 1998.

Conversely, the Terps racked up 470 yards of offense led by quarterback Chris Turner. Turner was 28-of-41 for 321 yards and one touchdown. He found Darrius Heyward-Bey 11 times for 101 yards. That marked the first time a Wake Forest defense has allowed a receiver 10 or more catches under Jim Grobe. Heyward-Bey also became the first 100-yard receiver against Wake this season.

Maryland had a total of 330 yard passing compared to just 146 for Wake. The Terrapins also held the advantage on the ground, running up 140 yards as the Deacons could manage just 73.

The Terrapins also had the ball for nearly nine more minutes then the Deacs and converted 22 first downs to just 14 for Wake.

Riley Skinner had his lowest passing output of the season for the Deacons, completing just 14-of-30 for 127 yards. Senior D.J. Boldin led the Deacs in receiving with seven catches for 72 yards.

On the ground, sophomore Josh Adams had 13 carries for 39 yards.

In addition to Heyward-Bey, Danny Qguendo made three catches for 90 yards and a TD for Maryland. Da'Rel Scott led the Terrapin rushing attack with 73 yards on 18 carries.

Defensively, linebacker Stanley Arnoux made a career-high 12 tackles and also recovered a fumble to lead the Deacs. Fellow linebacker Aaron Curry chipped in with a season-high 11 stops and redshirt freshman Josh Bush had a career-high three tackles and a fumble recovery.

Maryland converted all four of its field goal attempts in the game and the Terps were a perfect 4-for-4 in the redzone. Wake had giving up just a total two field goals coming into the game.

The Deacons missed on both of its field goal attempts as this was the second straight game Wake was without its All-American kicker Sam Swank, who was out with a quadriceps injury. The Deacons never made it into the Maryland redzone.

Maryland took the opening kickoff out to nearly midfield and the Terps would capitalize on the good field position. Maryland collected four first downs on the drive before Scott took the pitch from Turner and threw to Heyward-Bey on a crossing route in the back of the endzone for the first score of the game. Obi Egekeze added the extra point to give Maryland a 7-0 lead.

The key play in the 58-yard drive was fumble recovery by the Terps. Scott took a pitch and was slowed up by Wake's Matt Robinson, who also knocked the ball loose. The ball bounded up the field and was eventually fallen on by a Maryland lineman. The result of the play was an 11-yard gain down the Wake Forest 13-yardline.

After Wake stalled on its first offensive drive, Maryland took over on its on 20. After a first down, Turner tried to hand off to Scott on a draw play but the two mishandled the exchange and Arnoux fell on the ball at the Maryland 25.

The Deacons couldn't take advantage of the miscue however as a couple of drops led to a Shane Popham 40-yard field goal attempt. The redshirt freshman had the leg but missed wide right.

Like Wake, Maryland did nothing after the missed field goal and was forced to punt holding a 7-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The Deacons took the punt and picked up a pair of first downs and appeared to have a third but an illegal block penalty wiped out the play. After two plays for no gain, Wake was forced to punt and Popham's kick was downed by Kerry Major on the Maryland 1-yard line.

Maryland did a nice job of getting out of the shadow of its own endzone with a first down but as Scott fought for extra yards on a five-yard run, Arnoux ripped the ball out of his hands and Bush recovered the second Maryland fumble at the Terrapin 30 yard line.

But just like the first turnover, Wake couldn't take advantage as three straight incomplete passes led to a second Popham missed field, this time from 47 yard outs.

Maryland, now with the momentum, moved the ball into Wake Forest territory, thanks to a fantastic juggling catch by Heyward-Bey for a 41-yard pickup down the to Deacon 14-yard line. Turner lofted a pass down the right side of the field that cornerback Alphonso Smith got a hand on but Heyward-Bey would make the catch falling to the ground.

A 15-yard clipping penalty on the ensuing play slowed up the Maryland drive and the Terps would settle for a 40-yard field goal from Egekeze to take a 10-0 lead with 6:41 to play in the half.

The teams traded punts and Maryland wound up with the ball on its own 26 with 1:07 left in the half. Turner then led the Terps on a 10-play, 52-yard drive to setup Egekeze's second field goal of the half. This time he connected from 39 yards to give Maryland a 13-0 lead at halftime.

Wake had just 106 total yards in the first half including just 31 yards on the ground. Maryland gained 252 total yards as Turner was 20-of-28 for 185 yards. The Terps also collected 14 first downs to just seven for the Deacs.

Wake Forest took the second half kickoff and picked up a first down but stalled again and Popham hit just a 17-yard punt setting Maryland up first its first drive of the second half at its own 36.

The Terps then took the ball down to the Wake Forest 18 yard line and Egekeze tacked on a 35-yard field to make the score 16-0. Turner was 4-of-4 for 39 yards on the drive with the big play being a 29-yard hookup with his fullback Cory Jackson.

After another Wake Forest punt, Maryland had maybe its best drive of the game, picking up three first downs but again the Wake Forest defense stepped up in the redzone, forcing another field goal attempt.

Everything seemed to be going Maryland's way as Egekeze's 26-yard field goal attempt was tipped but still managed to make its way through giving the Terps a 19-0 lead with just under a minute to play in the third quarter.

Turner had another good drive, finding tight end Tommy Galt for an 18-yard gain on 3rd and 3 and connecting with Danny Oquendo for a 30-yard gain down to the Deacon 11-yard line.

On the ensuing Wake Forest drive, Skinner had his best chance of the day as he threw a deep pass down the center of the field to wide out Marshall Williams. Williams had a step on his defender, but the throw was a bit out of his reach and the Deacons would again be forced to punt as the third quarter came to an end.

Wake got the ball back and had its best drive of the game as Skinner completed first down passes to Boldin, Pendergrass and fullback Mike Rinfrette to move into Terrapin territory for the first time in the second half.

The Deacs made it down to the Maryland 28-yard line and faced a 4th and 6. Down 19, Wake decided to go for it and Skinner's pass over the middle was broken up by defensive tackle Jeremy Navarre.

Maryland ran some clock on its next possession but gave the ball back to Wake. The Deacons lost six yards on its drive and were forced to punt the ball back to the Terps with 6:45 to play.

Turner handed the ball off twice to Davin Meggett and faced a 3rd and 4 from midfield. Turner threw over the middle to Oguendo who slipped a couple of tackles and made his was to the endzone for Maryland's second touchdown of the day. Egekeze's extra point gave the Terrapins a 26-0 advantage with just 4:33 to play.

Both team's second teamers came in for the final three possessions to salt away the rest of the clock.

The road doesn't get any easier for Wake as it heads to Miami next Saturday for a noon kickoff. The game can be seen on ESPN U.



NCAA Tennis Gear