Wake Forest Falls at Maryland, 62-14

Oct. 30, 2010

Final Stats |  Notes |  AP Photo Gallery  | Final Stats in PDF FormatGet Acrobat Reader

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Maryland blocked two punts and had two interception returns for touchdowns, en route to a 62-14 defeat of visiting Wake Forest on Saturday afternoon at Byrd Stadium.

With the loss, the Demon Deacons drop to 2-6 overall and 1-4 in the ACC. The Terrapins move to 6-2 overall and 3-1 in conference play.

Maryland broke open a 10-7 game in the second quarter, outscoring Wake Forest 17-0 in the period. The Terps continued the run in the second half, putting up a total of 45 straight points before the Deacons pushed across their second score of the day to start the fourth quarter.

The Terrapins put up 446 yards of total offense, as eight different players scored touchdowns. The Deacons, on the other hand, had just 155 yards of total offense, including -3 yards rushing.

Quarterback Tanner Price completed 16 of 31 passes for 156 yards and a touchdown. Price's touchdown pass went to sophomore wide receiver Terence Davis in the fourth quarter. It was Davis' first career touchdown grab.

Redshirt freshman Josh Harris led the Deacons on the ground, rushing 10 times for 27 yards and a touchdown.

Senior Marshall Williams caught five passes for a team-high 62 yards, while redshirt freshman Michael Campanaro caught three passes for 38 yards.

Maryland benefitted from a blocked punt to take the early 3-0 lead. After Wake Forest went three-and-out on the first offensive series of the game, Shane Popham had his punt blocked, setting up the Terps at the Deacon 32-yard line. It was the first time in Popham's career that the junior had a punt blocked.

Despite the good field position, the Terps had to settle for a field goal when their drive stalled at the Wake Forest five-yard line. Travis Baltz knocked home the 22-yard attempt.

Maryland pushed its lead to 10-0 after forcing Wake to punt on the Deacons' ensuing possession. The Terps drove 58 yards in nine plays, as quarterback Danny O'Brien capped the drive by hitting Torrey Smith on a 17-yard touchdown pass.

The Deacon offense came alive on their next possession. Price converted an early third-and-10 by hitting Williams on a 34-yard completion. That put Wake in Maryland territory, and Harris took over from there. Harris rushed three times for 23 yards, the last a six-yard touchdown run to cut the deficit to 10-7.

The Terps dominated the second quarter, outscoring the Deacons 17-0. O'Brien threw a pair of touchdown passes in the quarter, hitting Quinton McCree for a 28-yard score and Haroon Brown for a three-yard score.

Brown's touchdown was set up by Maryland's second blocked punt of the day. Nick Peterson jumped over the Wake Forest blockers to knock down Popham's punt and give the Terps the ball at the Wake Forest 12-yard line. Maryland needed just two plays from there to hit paydirt.

Baltz drilled a 32-yard field goal with just over a minute to play in the half to give Maryland a 27-7 advantage heading into the locker room.

Maryland picked up where it left off in the first half, this time using its defense to put points on the board. After Wake Forest forced the Terps to punt on their opening possession of the third quarter, Kenny Tate intercepted Price on the Deacons' first play of the half and took it eight yards for a touchdown.

O'Brien gave the Terrapins a 41-7 lead when he hit LaQuan Williams for a 24-yard touchdown pass with just under 10 minutes to play in the third quarter.

Maryland added to its advantage in the third quarter when linebacker Ryan Donohue intercepted Skylar Jones' pass and ran it 25 yards untouched for the Terps' second defensive touchdown of the day.

The Terps continued their third-quarter onslaught, as Davin Megget rushed for a 14-yard touchdown to push the home squad's lead to 55-7.

The Deacons put their second score of the day on the board at the start of the fourth quarter. Wake Forest drove 38 yards in nine plays, as Price found Terence Davis in the back corner of the endzone for an eight-yard touchdown pass just 10 seconds into the final stanza.

Wake's scoring drive looked as if it would stall deep in Maryland territory when Price's completion to Campanaro came up just shy of the first-down marker. However, Maryland's Cameron Chism was called for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Campanaro, giving the Deacons new life on the drive.

Maryland put together its longest scoring drive of the day midway through the fourth quarter. D.J. Adams rushed for a one-yard touchdown to cap a 12-play, 62-yard drive that lasted over seven minutes.

O'Brien, a native of nearby Kernersville and East Forsyth High School product, led the Terrapins on offense. The redshirt freshman completed 13 of 20 passes for 168 yards and four touchdowns.

Meggett rushed 16 times for 98 yards and a touchdown, while Smith caught five passes for 66 yards and a touchdown.

Wake Forest returns to action next Saturday when the Deacons host Boston College at BB&T Field. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m., and the game will be televised on ESPN3.com.



NCAA Tennis Gear