Deacons Fall to Syracuse 13-0 in Defensive Battle
Sherman Ragland III caught a career-high 10 passes

Nov. 2, 2013

Final Stats |  USATSI Gallery  | Final Stats (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader

By Alex Botoman, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeFB)

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Unable to overcome the loss of star receiver Michael Campanaro to injury, Wake Forest fell to Syracuse 13-0 in a defensive battle Saturday at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

With the loss, the Demon Deacons fall to 4-5 (2-4 ACC), while the Orange improve to 4-4 (2-2 ACC).

Campanaro, who entered the game catching 42 percent of quarterback Tanner Price's passes this season, was knocked out of the game in the first quarter with a shoulder injury, and the Wake Forest offense struggled to adjust. Price completed only 22-of-54 pass attempts as the Deacs were unable to move the ball on the Orange defense.

The two teams entered the locker room at halftime tied 0-0, but Syracuse finally put the first points on the board on a Terrel Hunt touchdown rush with 8:48 left in the third quarter, and it would be all the Orange would need.

The loss overshadowed a strong effort by the Wake Forest defense, which did all that it could to keep the Demon Deacons in the game. The Deacons stopped the Orange at the goal line on a fake field goal attempt in the second half and also blocked an extra point, courtesy of Nikita Whitlock.

Brandon Chubb led the Deacons with 11 tackles, and Justin Jackson chipped in 10 stops, including a sack. In addition to his blocked kick, Nikita Whitlock made eight tackles - one for loss.

Stepping into the void vacated by Campanaro, as well as receiving threats Tyree Harris and Orville Reynolds, who did not make the trip with injuries of their own, Sherman Ragland III led the Wake Forest offense with 10 catches for 91 yards, both career highs. Matt James made a career-high three catches for 26 yards.

Josh Harris spearheaded the rushing game, carrying nine times for 47 yards.

The injuries weren't limited to the offensive side of the ball. Starting defensive ends Zach Thompson and Kristopher Redding were also knocked out of the game, as was safety Deonte Davis.

Neither team could gain traction offensively in the first half, largely due to strong defensive play and penalties. The Deacons committed six first-half penalties for 50 yards, a number of them wiping out offensive gains, while the Orange were called for five penalties for 40 yards.

On its first drive of the second half, Syracuse went 75 yards in 14 players capped off by Hunt's touchdown run to take a 7-0 lead.

The Orange found their second score shortly afterwards as an interception by Isaiah Johnson set up Syracuse at the Wake Forest 25-yard line and Jarrod West found Brisly Estime on a reverse past on the next play to make the score 13-0.

The Demon Deacons will be back in action next Saturday when they return to BB&T Field to host No. 3 Florida State. The kickoff time and television information will be announced on Sunday.



NCAA Tennis Central