Wake Forest Blanks Monmouth 3-0 in First Win of Season
Andy Lubahn

Sep 1, 2013

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMSoccer)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Andy Lubahn put Wake Forest on top in the first half, and Luca Gimenez and Tane Gent scored within 53 seconds of each other in the second half to help the Demon Deacons shut out Monmouth 3-0 on Sunday night at Spry Stadium.

The Demon Deacons improve to 1-1 on the season with the victory, while the Hawks begin the opening weekend with an 0-2 record.

To go along with his goal, Lubahn also dished out an assist on Gent's goal for a three-point performance. Jared Watts (2) and Sean Okoli (1) also had assists as well for Wake Forest.

The Demon Deacons dominated possession throughout the game and outshot the Hawks by a 23-7 count. That number included a 12-1 discrepancy in favor of Wake Forest in the first half.

Okoli had more than a third of the Deacon opportunities, as he was just two shots away from tying a Wake Forest single game record with eight shots. Four of his shots were on goal and saved by Monmouth goalkeeper Stephen Graziani.

Wake Forest goalkeeper Alec Ferrell picked up his first-career shutout in the win and made two saves in the process. He has given up just one goal through the first two games of his career.

The Deacs had several chances to go on top before Lubahn delivered the first goal of the season in the 41st minute. Ian Harkes, Okoli and Rafael Fagundo all forced Graziani to make tough saves early in the first half.

Lubahn's goal came at the 40:51 mark on a double assist by Watts and Okoli. Watts played the ball to Okoli's feet about 25 yards out, and Okoli played a one-touch back pass to Lubahn. Lubahn was dealing with a few Hawk defenders but was still able to score on a sliding left-footed strike.

Wake Forest maintained control throughout the second half as well before scoring two quick goals late in the game. Gimenez scored at 77:50, and Gent answered less than a minute later at 78:43.

Gimenez received a long pass from Watts and made a touch to beat one defender. He then kept attacking the right side and eventually dribbled through the Monmouth defense before shooting the ball off of the left post and into the back of the net.

Gent closed the door on any thought of a Monmouth comeback when he took a through ball from Lubahn and scored his first collegiate goal from near the top of the box.

Wake Forest will be back in action when it begins ACC play with its first road game of the season. The Deacs will travel to play Boston College on Saturday at 7 p.m.



Women's Football Camp