Fink's Header Lifts Deacs Past West Virginia, 1-0
Luca Gimenez leads the team with two assists through three games.

Sept. 2, 2012

Final Stats | Final StatsGet Acrobat Reader | Season Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

Video for Mobile Devices (YouTube)

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Sophomore Sam Fink headed a cross from Luca Gimenez into the back of the net in the 72nd minute to help Wake Forest remain undefeated and take down West Virginia, 1-0, Sunday night at Spry Stadium.

After the start of the game was delayed an hour and 45 minutes due to rain and lightning in the area, the Demon Deacons prevailed to improve to 3-0-0 on the season. The Mountaineers suffered their second loss of the weekend to fall to 2-2-0.

Fink's goal was his first of the season, as the Demon Deacons have now had three different players score the game-winning goal in each of the team's victories. Gimenez now leads the team with two assists after his game-winning helper.

The scoring sequence began with a corner from Ross Tomaselli that was cleared by the West Virginia defense, but Collin Martin was able to track the ball down before it got back near midfield. Eventually the ball switched fields to Gimenez on the right side before he lofted the ball to the far post. Fink was waiting and beat WVU keeper Pat Eavenson at 71:25 to put the Deacs ahead 1-0.

The Demon Deacons had a pair of early opportunities with Jared Watts missing right on a shot and Luciano Delbono having a shot saved by Eavenson.

"It was a tremendous start to the match. I thought (we) were on fire and were really doing a good job moving the ball, getting in behind and forcing West Virginia to give up the ball," said head coach Jay Vidovich.

Shortly after, West Virginia's Francio Henry drew his first yellow card in the 16th minute and was ejected after picking up his second caution in the 21st minute.

Wake Forest continued to press throughout the half, outshooting West Virginia 4-1 before the break.

The Mountaineers took the first two shots of the second half before Fink supplied the game-winning goal. The Demon Deacons ended up outshooting West Virginia 9-6 for the game and taking five corner kicks compared to three.

Michael Lisch also earned his second shutout of the season, both of which have come without needing to make a save. He now has seven shutouts for his career.

Wake Forest will begin ACC play next when it travels to play Clemson for its first road match of the season. The Demon Deacons and the Tigers will square off on Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Clemson, S.C.



NCAA Tennis Central