Deacs Blank Eagles 2-0 to Begin Conference Action
Ian Harkes assisted on both Wake Forest goals in the win

Sep 7, 2013

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMSoccer)

NEWTON, Mass. - Ian Harkes dished out a pair of assists and Andy Lubahn and Jared Watts both scored to help No. 21 Wake Forest shut out Boston College 2-0 on Saturday night at the Newton Campus Field.

The Demon Deacons improve to 2-1-0 on the year and begin the Atlantic Coast Conference schedule at 1-0-0. The loss was the first of the year for the Eagles, as they are now 1-1-1 on the year and 0-1-0 in the ACC.

The win for Wake Forest was the first win on the road at Boston College since the series began in 2005. The Deacs are now 1-3-1 all-time at BC.

The two assists for Harkes were the first two of his career. Lubahn now leads the team with two goals on the year, while Watts found the back of the net for the first time in 2013. Luca Gimenez added an assist on the first goal of the night.

The shutout was also the second straight for Wake Forest after defeating Monmouth 3-0 last Sunday. Andrew Harris started and played all 90 minutes in goal to earn his first-career shutout. He also made two saves in the process.

Boston College got off to a quick start and took three shots in the first 9:15 of the game before Wake Forest could take its first. Cole DeNormandie and Derrick Boateng each put a shot on frame, but Harris made both saves to keep the Deacs tied 0-0 early.

Chris Duvall had a shot saved by BC keeper Keady Segel in the 11th minute for Wake Forest's first shot of the game.

The next shot for either team was Lubahn's goal in the 28th minute. Harkes played a ball to Gimenez behind the right back, and Gimenez played the ball to Lubahn who finished on his first touch from the top of the six.

Each team managed one more shot in the first half, but Wake Forest entered the break with a 1-0 lead.

Shots were sparse for both sides in the first 20 minutes of the second half. In the 67th minute, Hunter Bandy and Boateng were both issued yellow cards, and 12 seconds later, BC's Chris Ager was issued a yellow card. Boateng was then sent off in the 71st minute after picking up his second caution of the game.

Wake Forest capitalized on its man advantage minutes after Boateng was sent off when Watts scored. Harkes played a free kick into the box from the left side, and Watts looped the ball over Segel to the far post to give the Deacs a 2-0 lead in the 75th minute.

Okoli nearly put Wake Forest up 3-0 less than a minute later, but Segel was there for the save.

Wake Forest will be back in action on Friday at 7 p.m. when it hosts Virginia at Spry Stadium.



NCAA Tennis Gear