No. 15 Deacs Beat Virginia 3-2 at Spry
Michael Gamble scored a goal in just 10 minutes of action

Sept. 13, 2013

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery  | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMSoccer)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - No. 15 Wake Forest scored three goals in the first 55 minutes of the game and held off a Virginia comeback attempt in the final 10 minutes, as the Demon Deacons defeated the Cavaliers 3-2 on Friday night at Spry Stadium.

Wake Forest remains undefeated in the Atlantic Coast Conference, moving to 2-0-0 in league play and 3-1-0 overall. Virginia is 1-3-0 overall and is now 0-2-0 to begin conference action.

Luca Gimenez had a three-point night for the Deacs with a goal and an assist, while Andy Lubahn continued to lead the team in points with a pair of assists. He now has two goals and three assists for seven points on the year.

Michael Gamble also scored a goal in his first action of the season, and Sean Okoli provided what proved to be the game-winning goal. Chris Duvall also had an assist on the night for the Demon Deacons.

Alec Ferrell was tested in the goal, facing 20 shots from Virginia. Ferrell made a career-high six saves to earn his second win of the season.

Gimenez was able to put Wake Forest up in the 19th minute when he converted a penalty kick. The penalty was set up by a Virginia hand ball in the box.

Jalen Robinson nearly scored in the 21st minute, heading a corner kick from Gimenez at the far post that was saved by Virginia keeper Jeff Gal.

Virginia would take the next four shots of the game, but Gamble entered in the 35th minute and made an immediate impact. His first touch of the game was a shot that went wide right in the 36th minute, and he put Wake Forest up 2-0 with a goal in the 44th minute. Lubahn played the ball through on the right side to Duvall. Duvall took a few touches and crossed the ball far post where Gamble was there to volley it home for his first goal of the season.

Not even 10 minutes into the second half, Okoli scored his first goal of the season at the 54:56 mark to give the Demon Deacons a 3-0 advantage. Lubahn collected a turnover in the attacking third and played Gimenez into the box. Gimenez drew the keeper out and played it to his right where Okoli had a wide-open tap in for the score.

The Cavaliers made it interesting in the final seven minutes of the game with goals in the 84th minute and in the 89th minute. Eric Bird scored the first goal by blasting a corner kick service out of the air into the net, and Bryan Lima finished from right in front of the goal after receiving a low cross.

With just 21 seconds left in the game, Jordan Allen headed a shot from inside the box, but Ferrell caught the ball out of the air to preserve the win.

Wake Forest will be in action again on Tuesday when it goes to Elon for a 7 p.m. kickoff.



Baseball Games