Deacs Tie Duke, 0-0, in Front of 10th-Largest Crowd
Chris Duvall

Sept. 21, 2012

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery  | Final StatsGet Acrobat Reader | Season StatsGet Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - No. 16 Wake Forest recorded its third-straight tie to begin the Atlantic Coast Conference season, playing to a 0-0 draw with Duke on Friday night in front of 4,142 fans at Spry Stadium.

The attendance marks the 10th-largest crowd in Spry Stadium history and the 13th time that Spry has welcomed over 4,000 fans.

With the tie, Wake Forest is now 4-1-3 on the season overall and unbeaten in the ACC at 0-0-3. The game was Duke's first overtime contest of the year, as the Blue Devils are now 3-3-1 overall and 1-1-1 in conference play.

The Demon Deacons outshot the Blue Devils 17-7 on the night and took 12 corners compared to just two. Five of Wake Forest's shots came in the two overtime periods, including three in double overtime and one in the final few seconds of the game.

With less than 20 seconds to go in the second extra period, Chris Duvall sent a cross to the far post from about 30 yards out on the left side. Anthony Arena rose above everyone to get his head on the ball, but his shot ricocheted off the post for the Deacs' final chance.

Both keepers recorded a shutout in the effort, as Wake Forest's Michael Lisch made four saves and now has four shutouts on the season. Duke's James Belshaw saved eight Deacon shots and recorded his second shutout of the season.

In the first half, Luca Gimenez nearly put Wake Forest up a goal when he took a through ball from Michael Gamble and, from a tough angle, rocketed a shot just off the hand of Belshaw and into the crossbar.

Gimenez was involved again in the 80th minute after beating several defenders down to the end line. After making a quick move back to the box, he laid it off nicely for Ross Tomaselli who had his left-footed shot saved by Belshaw.

After the ensuing corner, Jalen Robinson collected the clearance attempt on the right side of the field and sent a cross into the box. Jared Watts was there for a diving header, but that shot was saved as well.

Watts, Gimenez, Gamble and Sean Okoli all took three shots for the Deacs, while Okoli was the only one to put two shots on frame.

Wake Forest will be back in action on Tuesday at Spry Stadium to host Appalachian State at 7 p.m.



NCAA Tennis Gear