Deacs Stay Undefeated in ACC with 2-0 Win at Pitt
Michael Gamble had a goal and assist for three points in the win

Sept. 21, 2013

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMSoccer)

PITTSBURGH, Pa. - No. 9 Wake Forest scored twice in the first 12 minutes of the game and continued its offensive pressure throughout the contest, as the Demon Deacons defeated Pitt 2-0 in the first-ever meeting between the two schools on Saturday night at Ambrose Urbanic Field.

With the win, Wake Forest remains undefeated in the ACC at 3-0-0 and moves to 4-2-0 on the season overall. After the completion of all weekend action, the Demon Deacons are the only team in the conference with nine points and sit alone atop the ACC standings. The Panthers move to 0-3-2 overall and 0-3-0 in conference action.

Michael Gamble made his first start of the season and had a tremendous impact on the game with a goal and an assist. The goal was his second of the year, while the assist was his first.

Andy Lubahn also scored his third goal of the season, while Luca Gimenez dished out his third assist. Lubahn now has 25 goals for his career, putting him in a tie for 10th place all-time with Nigel McNamara (1987-90). He is also just one goal behind John Duguid (1989-92) for ninth place.

The Demon Deacons took control from the onset and never let up, outshooting the Panthers 23-6. Twelve of Wake Forest's shots were on goal, but Pitt goalkeeper Dan Lynd was able to keep the score at 2-0 thanks to 10 saves. Gimenez had nine of the Deacs' shots, five of which were on goal.

Alec Ferrell also earned his second-career shutout in goal for Wake Forest, making three saves in the process.

Wake Forest dominated the first half, outshooting Pitt 10-1 over the first 45 minutes. The Panthers did not attempt their first shot until 42nd minute of the game.

Gamble got the Demon Deacons on the board in just the eighth minute of the game. Gimenez dribbled the ball from the left side of the field into the middle and played a through ball for Gamble who was able find the back of the net.

Less than four minutes later, Lubahn put Wake Forest up 2-0. Gamble chipped the ball to the far post, and Lubahn was able to beat Lynd to the ball to make the sliding finish. Wake Forest took six more shots during the first half but was never able to go up by three.

The Demon Deacons then had three excellent chances in the first 15 minutes of the second half. Gimenez had a 1-v-1 opportunity with the keeper that went just high after he was played through from midfield in the 49th minute.

Lynd then came up with three saves in a 40-second period in the 52nd minute. Lubahn, Gamble and Gimenez all had shots saved.

Jared Watts came the closest to scoring in the second half. After collecting a short pass from Sam Fink in the box, Watts turned and fired, but his shot ricocheted off the cross bar in the 58th minute.

The Demon Deacons will play their next two games at home. Wake Forest will begin with VCU on Tuesday and continue with North Carolina on Saturday. Both games are scheduled for 7 p.m. at Spry Stadium.



NCAA Tennis Gear