Four Deacs Score in 4-0 Shutout over Appalachian St.
Jake Schemper

Sept. 25, 2012

Final Stats | Final StatsGet Acrobat Reader | Season StatsGet Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The offense exploded for No. 16 Wake Forest against Appalachian State, as four different Demon Deacons scored in a 4-0 win over the Mountaineers on Tuesday night at Spry Stadium.

The win keeps Wake Forest unbeaten at home on the season and improves the team's overall record to 5-1-3 overall (5-0-1 at Spry). Appalachian State falls to 4-3-1.

Sean Okoli, Jared Watts, Collin Martin and Jake Schemper each scored for the Deacs. Okoli is now tied for the team lead with three goals on the season, while it was the first goal of the year for the other three players. The goals for Martin and Schemper also marked their first-career scores.

Watts also picked up an assist for his first-career three-point game. Michael Gamble had two assists on the night, while Anthony Arena and Teddy Mullin also had one assist apiece.

The Mountaineers had allowed just three goals on the season in their first seven games before the Demon Deacons capitalized four times on their 20 shots. The Wake Forest defense also played very well and allowed just five shots by ASU.

Goalkeeper Michael Lisch earned his fifth shutout of the season, needing to make two saves in order to blank Appalachian State.

Wake Forest scored a pair of goals in each half to account for the 4-0 victory. Okoli got the Demon Deacons on the board in the 26th minute with his strike. After Gamble hit a shot that beat the keeper but ricocheted off the crossbar, Okoli was there to collect the rebound and put it away.

Watts' goal came nearly 11 minutes later in the 36th minute to put Wake Forest up 2-0 in the first half. Arena sent a through ball towards the top of the box where Watts collected it with just the keeper to beat and fired his shot.

The Demon Deacons wasted little time in the second half getting their third goal, as Martin scored in the 51st minute. Watts delivered a pass into the box, and after a couple of maneuvers, Martin had a wide-open shot that he buried.

The most celebrated moment of the night came when Schemper - who had played in just one other game in his first three seasons at Wake Forest - headed home a cross by Mullin to put Wake Forest up 4-0 in the 84th minute.

"It felt really good. It was a really good ball from Teddy, and he made it easy on me," said Schemper. "It was one of the best celebrations ever. I think my feet are going to be hurting for days, but that's okay."

Wake Forest will return to Atlantic Coast Conference action on Friday when it travels to Virginia Tech at 7 p.m. in Blacksburg, Va.



NCAA Tennis Gear