Deacs Blank Hokies 3-0 in Genna Wiley Memorial Match
Jacori Hayes scored his first-career goal in the 70th minute

Oct. 4, 2013

Final Stats | Wake Forest Game Notes (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMSoccer)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Jared Watts got 20th-ranked Wake Forest on the board in the seventh minute, and Jacori Hayes and Sean Okoli each scored second-half goals, as the Demon Deacons shut out Virginia Tech 3-0 on Friday night at Spry Stadium in the Sixth Annual Genna Wiley Memorial Match.

Wake Forest remains undefeated in conference play and atop the ACC standing with a 4-0-1 record and 13 points. The Deacs are now 6-2-2 overall. The Hokies fall to 3-3-3 overall and 1-1-3 in the ACC.

The Demon Deacons have now seven straight games against the Hokies and are unbeaten in the last 14 matchups between the two teams.

The match was dedicated to Genna Wiley, who was the wife of former Wake Forest athletic trainer Steve Wiley. Genna lost her battle with cancer just three days after the Deacs won the 2007 NCAA National Championship. Wake Forest was able to raise $2,350 on the night through a silent auction for game-worn jerseys, with the proceeds going to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Hayes picked up both the first goal and the first assist of his career for a three-point night. Watts and Okoli both now have two goals on the season.

Ian Harkes and Teddy Mullin both added assists as well for the Demon Deacons. Harkes is second on the team with three assists, while Mullin's assist was his first of the year.

Andrew Harris got the start in goal for Wake Forest and earned his second shutout of the season. He made two saves to keep the clean sheet, both of which came in the first half.

The Demon Deacons went on top right out of the gate with Watts' goal at the 6:26 mark. After a foul about 35 yards away from the goal on the left side, Harkes sent a free kick near post and Watts flicked it into the top left corner for the score.

Okoli and Tolani Ibikunle each had shots go on goal later in the half as well, but Sean Renfro made the saves to keep the score 1-0 heading into halftime. The Deacs and the Hokies were tied at 6-6 in terms of shots at the half, but Wake Forest controlled the second half and outshot Virginia Tech 8-1 in the second 45 minutes.

Hayes' goal came in the 70th minute after he collected a loose ball in the box. With Renfro out of the position, he scored from about 18 yards out into the empty net.

He then set up the final goal of the game by playing Mullin through to the edge of the box. Mullin made a great sliding pass to Okoli who beat the keeper into the right side of the net.

Wake Forest will play its second of three-consecutive ACC games on Tuesday when it heads to NC State for a 7 p.m. kickoff.



NCAA Tennis Gear