No. 9 VT Bounces Back to Tie No. 1 Deacs 3-3 in D-OT

Oct. 5, 2007

Box Score

BLACKSBURG, Va. - The No. 1 Wake Forest men's soccer team tied No. 9 Virginia Tech 3-3 in Blacksburg, Va. on Friday night.

The Demon Deacons jumped out to an early 2-0 lead going into half time, but a Hokie goal less than 90 seconds into the second half put Virginia Tech within one point of tie.

Sam Cronin gave the Deacs an insurance goal in the 54th minute, his second goal of night, but VT's Robert Edmans and Patrick Nyarko netted the catch-up and knotting goals in the 73rd an 86th minute to keep Virginia Tech from its first conference loss of the season.

The Deacons are now 7-0-2 overall and 2-0-1 in the ACC. The Hokies stand at 6-1-3 and 1-0-2 in conference action.

Cronin fired a right-side missile in the 20th minute that nearly put the scoreless Deacs ahead of the Hokies, but the shot hit the woodwork and VT took over possession.

It wasn't long before Cronin hit the mark, however, and netted the first Deacon goal in the 26th minute after a solid set up by Lyle Adams from 25-yards out. The goal was Cronin's first of the season.

Patrick Nyarko lured Edwards from the net in the following Virginia Tech possession, and set up the Hokies in front of an empty WFU net. VT was unable to find the gaps in the Deacon defense and lost possession after launching a high kick out of bounds.

Three possessions later, Ike Opara cleared the ball off the line with a header in the 35th minute and sent Wake charging at the Hokie net. Bone took passes from Lahoud and Anoux put the Deacons up 2-0 before halftime.

The Hokies struck less than 90 seconds after the start of the second half, with Robert Edmans landing the goal in his first minute of playing time for the night.

A Edmands nearly scored again in the 52nd minute, heading a cornerkick into the left post of the Demon Deacon goal. Wake gained control of the ball and a foul by the Hokies allowed Corben Bone to take a freekick that Sam Cronin sent to the back of the VT net to put the Deacs up 3-1.



Wake sophomore Zack Schilawski netted a goal in the 73rd minute, but the score was ruled off-sides and the Hokies were able slip past Edwards to set the score at 3-2 in the next possession.

The formerly silent Hokie crowd of nearly 2,500 came alive with the goal and the fans remained standing throughout the rest of the match.

Wake was only able to fire one shot in first overtime period and three in the second, but held the Hokies to just one shot through the 20 minutes of extra play.

Overall Virginia Tech out-shot the Deacons 17-16, posting 10 shots in the second half to the Deacons' 6.

Next up for the Demon Deacons will be Appalachian State, schedule to play at Spry Stadium on Tuesday.

NCAA Tennis Gear