Cronin, Arnoux Score Goals in Wake Forest's 2-0 Victory over UMass

Oct. 7, 2008

Box Score

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Senior Sam Cronin and junior Cody Arnoux each scored a goal as No. 1 Wake Forest (11-0-0, 3-0-0 ACC) shut out 2007 College Cup team Massachusetts (2-5-2, 0-0-0 Atlantic 10) 2-0 on Tuesday night at Spry Stadium.

"I think that we started off the game well," head coach Jay Vidovich said. "We moved the ball well, but just failed to finish in certain situations. The first goal was a great goal because we had to dig it out. We kept the ball alive off the corner kick and Sam Cronin put it in the back of the net."

Wake Forest out shot the Minutemen 19-7, although the shots on goal category was much closer, with the Deacons holding a slight 4-3 edge. The Deacs had six corner kicks compared to two for UMass.

The Deacons extended a pair of impressive unbeaten streaks with the victory. Wake Forest is now unbeaten in its last 36 games against non-ACC foes. Wake has also either won or tied its last 28 games at home, tied for the seventh longest streak in NCAA history.

Akira Fitzgerald made three saves on the evening en route to recording his seventh shut out of the season. The seven shut outs puts Fitzgerald in a tie for seventh for most shut outs in a single season in Wake Forest history.

Both teams were able to get off several shots in the first minutes of the game, but neither team could find the back of the net.

The Deacons scored their first goal of the game in the 36th minute. Off a corner kick from Corben Bone, Austin da Luz attempted a shot that was saved by Massachusetts goalkeeper Zack Simmons. Off the save, the ball came right to Cronin, who scored from point-blank range to put Wake Forest up 1-0. The assist for Bone was his ACC-leading ninth on the season.



Wake Forest added an insurance goal in the 52nd minute. Zack Schilawski found Lyle Adams streaking down the left side of the field. Adams crossed the ball to Arnoux. Arnoux's shot deflected off the hand of the Minutemen goalkeeper and found the back of the net.

UMass had its best scoring chance of the game in the 83rd minute. A foul on Danny Wenzel inside the 18-yard box created a penalty kick chance for the Minutemen. Ben Arikian's shot went off the right post, keeping the score at 2-0.

The Deacons nearly extended their lead to 3-0 in the 85th minute. Austin da Luz's free kick from just outside the 18-yard box went off the left post.

The Deacons return to action on Saturday, traveling to ACC foe NC State. First touch is slated for 7 p.m. (ET).

Baseball Games