Deacs Down Terps 4-3 for 400th Program Victory
Luca Gimenez scored twice and dished out an assist in the win

Oct. 19, 2013

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMSoccer)

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Luca Gimenez turned in a five-point night with two goals and an assist to help No. 15 Wake Forest earn its 400th win in program history and defeat fourth-ranked Maryland 4-3 on Saturday night at Ludwig Field.

The win keeps the Demon Deacons (7-3-4, 5-0-3 ACC) undefeated in the ACC and in a tie for first place with Notre Dame, who defeated NC State 2-1 tonight. Maryland falls to 6-3-5 overall and 4-1-3 in conference play.

Wake Forest is now 400-222-83 since beginning the men's soccer program in 1980. Head coach Jay Vidovich is 259-111-47 in his 20 years at the helm, accounting for 65 percent of the program victories.

The Demon Deacons are now 5-1-1 against the Terrapins in the last seven meetings, six of which have come with Maryland being ranked in the top five nationally. The Deacs' last win at Ludwig Field was a 4-2 final on September 26, 2008.

For Gimenez, this marks his first multi-goal game of the season. Sean Okoli also scored a goal and dished out an assist, while the Deacs benefitted from an own goal, as well. Gimenez and Okoli are now tied for the team lead with five goals apiece.

Andrew Harris got the start in goal for the Demon Deacons and made five saves. He allowed just one goal in the run of play, as two of the Terrapin goals came on penalty kicks.

Maryland aided the Deacs on their first goal with an own goal in the 22nd minute. Hunter Bandy made a nice run down the right side and crossed the ball low into the box. Jerame Raley attempted to clear the ball, but his sliding effort sent the ball into the top left corner of the goal to put Wake Forest up 1-0.

Just over seven minutes later, Gimenez scored his first goal of the night in the 29th minute. He collected a pass just on the attacking side of midfield, beat one defender and dribbled the ball into the box. Once he was about 10 yards out, Gimenez sent a right-footed strike to the far post to give the Deacs a 1-0 lead.

The Terrapins cut the lead in half in the 36th minute when Patrick Mullins converted a penalty kick.

The Demon Deacons then scored two goals in less than two minutes of each other. Gimenez made the score 3-1 in the 39th minute, and Okoli made it 4-1 in the 41st minute.

Gimenez's second goal came on a nice counterattack by the Deacs. Okoli took control of the long clearance and created space before playing Teddy Mullin into an open area on the right side. Mullin then played it in the air back to Okoli along the left side of the box. Okoli beat his defender to the end line and chipped the ball into the center of the box, where Gimenez was there to head it home.

Gimenez then returned the favor, beating a defender along the right side and centering the ball to Okoli who was there for the tap in, giving Wake Forest a 4-1 halftime lead.

Maryland was awarded another penalty kick in the 56th minute, and Mullins stepped up and scored once again. He now has 12 goals on the year and is 8-for-8 on PKs. Almost four minutes later, Michael Sauers took a pass from Sunny Jane and struck from 20 yards out to make the score 4-3.

The Demon Deacons withstood a 10-1 shot deficit in the second half and were able to capture the victory.

Wake Forest will take the field again on Tuesday when it hosts Davidson at 7 p.m. at Spry Stadium.



Baseball Games