Virginia Advances Past Deacs in ACC Tourney on PKs
Sean Okoli scored a goal in his third straight game

Nov. 6, 2012

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery  | Final StatsGet Acrobat Reader | Season StatsGet Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - After playing to a 2-2 draw through regulation and a pair of 10-minute overtime periods, Virginia advanced past No. 13 Wake Forest on penalty kicks on Tuesday night at Spry Stadium to move on to the ACC Men's Soccer Championship Semifinals.

With the tie, the Demon Deacons now stand at 11-3-5 on the year, while the Cavaliers are now 9-6-3.

Virginia went first in PKs and applied pressure by connecting on all five of its attempts. Wake Forest converted its first three attempts before missing on its fourth. Shane Cooke supplied the final PK for Virginia to give the Cavaliers a 5-3 win in the shootout.

Sean Okoli once again had a great performance on the field with his second-consecutive three-point game. He assisted on Michael Gamble's goal in the 22nd minute and scored a goal of his own in the 51st minute. Chris Duvall provided the assist on Okoli's goal.

Okoli has now scored a goal in three straight games and six of the last seven games.

The game was very offensive on both sides, as the teams tied with 22 shots apiece. Wake Forest was the only team to take a shot in overtime, recording four in the extra sessions.

The Demon Deacons got on the scoreboard first at 21:35 when Okoli found Gamble making a run into the right side of the box. Gamble then finessed the ball to the far post past a charging Spencer LaCivita for his seventh goal of the year.

Virginia answered, though, with a goal in the 33rd minute. Scott Thomsen put a free kick into the box from just on the Cavalier attacking side of midfield. Zach Carroll settled the ball and beat Andrew Harris.

The 1-1 halftime score did not last long, as Okoli gave Wake Forest the lead at 50:12. Duvall chipped the ball to the far post from the right side of the field, and Okoli went up and headed it past LaCivita. The goal was his 11th of the season.

Once again, the Cavaliers responded quickly with a goal just over five minutes later in the 56th minute. Marcus Salandy-Defour played a low cross into the box and Eric Bird just got his left foot on the ball to send it softly towards the far post and in the goal.

Both teams had chances down the stretch in regulation but came up empty. After a corner kick, Tolani Ibikunle headed the ball in the box to Okoli who had his shot ricochet off the crossbar in the 84th minute.

The Cavaliers then had a flurry in the final 63 seconds. Bird had a shot saved by Harris, and Zach Carroll collected the rebound and had a shot blocked by the Wake Forest defense with less than a minute to go.

Wake Forest will now wait until Monday for the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Selection Show. The show will be streamed live on at 5:30 p.m.



Baseball Games