Virginia Uses OT Penalty Kick to Slip by Deacs
Sean Okoli led the Deacons with five shots on the night

Nov. 12, 2013

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery  | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Steven Wright, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMSoccer)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - No. 12 Virginia earned a penalty kick in the 94th minute during the first overtime period, and Todd Wharton converted the goal to lift the Cavaliers past No. 9 Wake Forest 1-0 in the quarterfinals of the ACC Championship on Tuesday night at Spry Stadium.

The Demon Deacons fall to 9-5-5 on the season, while the Cavaliers are now 10-4-4 and move on to play Notre Dame on Friday in the ACC Championship semifinals.

Wake Forest had the vast majority of the possession throughout regulation and created the bulk of the chances. The Demon Deacons outshot the Cavaliers 12-6 during the first 90 minute. The only shot on goal for Virginia in the game came on the penalty kick.

The Deacs started the attack early when Tolani Ibikunle put a header on frame in the sixth minute that had to be saved by Calle Brown. Later in the 27th minute, Wake Forest used nice build up to get Ross Tomaselli a shot. Jacori Hayes played the ball low to Sean Okoli, who chipped the ball to Tomaselli in the air. Tomaselli then struck the ball out of the air on his first touch, but the ball smacked off the crossbar.

After a first half in which Wake Forest outshot Virginia 5-3, the Demon Deacons owned an even greater shot advantage in the second half at 7-3.

Luca Gimenez was involved in a couple of early, second-half chances. The first was a ball that Hunter Bandy played to him at the far post that ended up being taken by the goalkeeper. The second came after Gimenez was able to settle a chip into the box from Michael Gamble. His shot attempt just went over the crossbar.

Wake Forest then had three straight chances in the 72nd minute, but the Virginia defense withstood the pressure. After a corner had been played into the box, Jared Watts had a shot saved off the end line by a UVA defender. The ball came right back to Okoli, and he then had two consecutive shots blocked to keep the score at 0-0.

Virginia took control of the possession early in the overtime period and took the only two shots after regulation. Marcus Salandy-Defour played a ball to Jordan Allen behind the defense, and Allen went down near the edge of the box after drawing some contact. The penalty was awarded, and Wharton won the game for the Cavaliers at 93:44.

The Demon Deacons will now wait to see their fate in the NCAA Championship when the selection show airs on Monday at 12 p.m. on



Baseball Games