Tracy's Goals Push Deacs Over Hokies 2-0

Dec. 14, 2007

Box Score |  Quotes

CARY, N.C. - After a scoreless first half at the semifinals of the 2007 College Cup, Wake Forest junior Marcus Tracy converted on a free kick by Sam Cronin in the 51st minute, marking the game-winning goal and the invitation to Wake Forest's first ever College Cup title match.

Tracy added another goal in the 83rd minute, teaming up with sophomore Zack Schilawski on the way to the Virginia Tech (14-4-5) net. The missile set the final score at 2-0, marking Wake Forest's 14th shutout for 2007 and goalkeeper Brian Edward's 13th for the year.

Robert Edmans yellow card violation (above) led to Sam Cronin's free kick, and Tracy's eventual game-winner, in the 51st minute.

"Obviously we're very excited to be advancing to the national championship game," Wake Forest head coach Jay Vidovich said. "This was a great result against a very good team."

The Demon Deacons (21-2-2) will face the winner of the Ohio State/Massachusetts match, which will wrap up later on Friday evening, at the NCAA Finals on Sunday at 3 p.m. ET. The game will be televised live on ESPN2.

Only eight shots on goal were taken through the entire 90 minutes, including five for the Deacons and three for the Hokies. Virginia Tech goalkeeper Markus Aigner posted three saves, including a spectacular block of Tracy's first shot on goal in the 21st minute. The Hokies had a chance to get on the board in the 13th minute when Patrick Nyrako and Robert Edmans caught Edwards outside of the net. Edmans took a cross from Nyarko, but his sliding kick soared over the goal. The 6-6 junior from Essex, England fell to his knees in frustration from the missed golden opportunity.

"I got caught out a little too far but not far enough," Edwards said. "He beat me to the ball, but luckily he tripped up a little bit and Lyle [Adams] did a great job of covering for me. We tried to lay back. We dodged one there, but I think we responded well."

The Demon Deacons are headed to the College Cup for the first time in the program's 27 year history

After getting tangled up with Schilawski, a yellow card on Hokie James Shupp in the 51st minute gave Wake the free kick opportunity that led the eventual game winning goal. Cronin took the kick and Tracy made the first touch to send the ball past the waiting Hokie keeper. The goal was Tracy's ninth of the season.

In the 83rd minute, forwards Schilawski and Tracy made a run down the field with a couple of quick passes outside the penalty box. Schilawski, a native of Cary, N.C., ran some fancy footwork to out-step the Hokie defense and flicked the ball to the waiting Tracy who shot the ball from dead center.

Brian Edwards and Marcus Tracy joined head coach Jay Vidovich at the press conference following the win.

The Deacons will return to the field at SAS Soccer Park on Sunday at 3 p.m. for the NCAA 2007 Men's Soccer Finale against Ohio State.



NCAA Tennis Central