Wake Forest Tops Boston College, 5-2
April 16, 2010
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The 23rd ranked Wake Forest men's tennis team took down Boston College by a score of 5-2 on Friday afternoon at Leighton Stadium. The Deacs now improve to 12-8 (6-4 Atlantic Coast Conference) on the season, while Boston College stalls at 8-14(0-10 ACC).
Wake Forest used a variety of new doubles line-ups on the day, as juniors Jon Wolff and Iain Atkinson teamed up for the first time this season at the number one position to claim an 8-5 victory. Senior Carlos Salmon and freshman Tripper Carleton also found success in their first match together this season as they earned a hard-fought 9-7 victory over Boston College's Jonathan Schroeder and Alex Skinner.
Wolff continued his strong play in singles action with an impressive 6-0, 6-1 win over Erik Kreutzer. Wolff now improves to 19-12 on the season with a 9-4 record in conference play. Freshman Danny Kreyman followed Wolff with a victory in straight sets over Jonathan Schroeder by a score of 6-0, 6-3. Fellow freshman Zach Leslie picked up a 6-2, 6-4 victory against Alex Skinner, and senior Jason Morgenstern rounded out the scoring for the Deacons with a 6-2, 6-1 win against Brian Locklear. The win marked the first ACC victory for Morgenstern on the season.
Wake Forest will wrap-up regular season play with a 12 p.m. match on Sunday afternoon against Maryland at Leighton Stadium. The match will mark the final home contest for four Demon Deacon seniors, including Andrew Brasseaux, Steven Forman, Morgenstern, and Salmon.
Wake Forest 5, Boston College 2
1. Jon Wolff/Iain Atkinson (WFU) d. Thomas Nolan/Erik Kreutzer (BC) 8-5
2. Carlos Salmons/Tripper Carleton (WFU) d. Jonathan Schroeder/Alex Skinner (BC) 9-7
3. Adam Davison/Akash Muppidi (BC) d. Connor Sherwood/Zach Leslie (WFU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Thomas Nolan (BC) d. #106 Iain Atkinson (WFU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0(10-6)
2. Akash Muppidi (BC) d. #43 Tripper Carleton (WFU) 7-6, 6-1
3. Jon Wolff (WFU) d. Erik Kreutzer (BC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Zach Leslie (WFU) d. Alex Skinner (BC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Danny Kreyman (WFU) d. Jonathan Schroeder (BC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Jason Morgenstern (WFU) d. Brian Locklear (BC) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 4, 1, 2, 6