WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Wake Forest men’s tennis team passed its first 2016 NCAA Tournament test on Friday, posting a 4-0 first-round victory over Coastal Carolina outdoors at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.
The sixth-seeded Demon Deacons will face 24th-ranked Michigan on Saturday with a trip to the NCAA Championships on the line. That match will begin at 3 p.m.
The match began with a dominant showing by the Deacons in doubles play. The 79th-ranked pair of Jon Ho and Petros Chrysochos got things started by blanking Nic Planchard and Francesco Migliano, 6-0, at the No. 2 position.
Wake Forest’s momentum carried from doubles into singles. The Demon Deacons claimed first-set wins on all six courts.
Uspensky became the first to pad the lead as he cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 dispatching of Faria at No. 5. The Deacon freshman leads the team with 27 singles wins on the spring and has now won eight contests in a row.
Fellow rookie and No. 27-ranked Chrysochos brought the Deacs to the brink of a win with a 6-1, 6-1 defeat of Al-Mutawa at the second spot before Ho sent the team to the second round by finishing off a 6-3, 6-2 decision against Pedro Leme at No. 3.
Chrysochos is now 22-4 on the year, including 19-2 at No. 2, while Ho picked up his 24th win of the year and his 16th dual-match singles triumph. Wake Forest is 15-1 when Ho wins in 2016.
Friday’s win gave the Demon Deacons their first-ever 30-win season, upping their record to 30-5. They now have a 13-15 mark all-time in the NCAA Tournament, including 5-0 in Winston-Salem.
The Deacs will seek their second-straight and fourth-overall trip to the national tournament’s round of 16 on Saturday against Michigan. The final four rounds of the NCAAs will take place next week at the University of Tulsa’s Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
No. 6 Wake Forest 4, Coastal Carolina 0
1. No. 13 Skander Mansouri (WF) vs. Vuk Velickovic (CCU) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
2. No. 27 Petros Chrysochos (WF) def. Jabor Al-Mutawa (CCU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Jon Ho (WF) def. Pedro Leme (CCU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Christian Seraphim (WF) vs. Sebastian Schneider (CCU) 6-2, 3-3, unfinished
5. Dennis Uspensky (WF) def. Luiz Faria (CCU) 6-2, 6-0
6. No. 116 Maksim Kan (WF) vs. Francesco Migliano (CCU) 6-4, 1-3, unfinished
Order of Finish: 5,2,3
1. No. 13 Christian Seraphim/Skander Mansouri (WF) vs. Vuk Vulickovic/Pedro Leme (CCU) 5-2, unfinished
2. No. 79 Jon Ho/Petros Chrysochos (WF) def. Nic Planchard/Francesco Migliano (CCU) 6-0
3. Maksim Kan/Dennis Uspensky (WF) def. Luiz Faria/Jabor Al-Mutawa (CCU) 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,3