Men's Tennis Comes Up Short Against No. 1 Virginia in NCAA Second Round
May 16, 2010
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. - The No. 22 Wake Forest men's tennis team fell 4-0 to top-ranked Virginia Sunday afternoon in the second round of the NCAA Championships at Snyder Tennis Center. The match marked the conclusion of yet another successful season in Demon Deacon tennis history, as the team finished with a record of 16-10. Virginia improves to 37-1 on the season and will now advance to Athens, Ga. to compete in the round of 16.
The doubles tandem of junior Jonathan Wolff and Zach Leslie started out strong for the Deacs at the number two position, as they quickly took a 4-0 lead over No. 41 Houston Barrick and Sanam Singh. However, Virginia fought back and eventually would go on to claim the 8-5 victory. An 8-1 win at the top position by No. 14 Michael Shabaz and Drew Courtney gave Virginia the overall doubles point.
The top singles match finished first, as No. 11 Shabaz picked up a 6-2, 6-4 victory over No. 26 Steven Forman. No. 46 Drew Courtney then claimed a 6-3, 6-4 win against No. 118 Jonathan Wolff. The 57th ranked freshman for Virginia, Jarmere Jenkins, sealed the win for the Cavs as he defeated No. 98 Iain Atkinson 6-1, 6-4.
Freshman Tripper Carleton, ranked 48th nationally, was playing well on the afternoon, as he notched a 6-3 victory in the first set against the 14th ranked Singh. Singh was leading 5-3 in the second set when the match was called.
Another Deacon freshman, Zach Leslie, was also having a strong performance on the day, as he earned a 6-4 first set victory against No. 72 Lee Singer. The second set was tied at two games apiece.
Although the team season has concluded, three Demon Deacons will continue to play on in the NCAA Individual Championships, which will be held May 26-31 at the Magill Tennis Center in Athens, Ga. Forman and Carleton will represent Wake Forest in singles play, while Atkinson and Forman will team up in doubles competition.
No. 1 Virginia 4, No. 22 Wake Forest 0
1. #14 Drew Courtney/Michael Shabaz (UVA) def. #21 Steven Forman/Iain Atkinson (WFU) 8-1
2. #41 Houston Barrick/Sanam Singh (UVA) def. Jonathan Wolff/Zach Leslie (WFU) 8-5
3. Danny Kreyman/Tripper Carleton (WFU) vs. Lee Singer/Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) - DNF; UVA leading 6-4 when match was called
Order of Finish: 1, 2*
1. #11 Michael Shabaz (UVA) def. #26 Steven Forman (WFU) 6-2, 6-4
2. #48 Tripper Carleton (WFU) vs. #14 Sanam Singh (UVA) DNF; WFU leading 6-3, 3-5
3. #57 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) d. #98 Iain Atkinson (WFU) 6-1, 6-4
4. #46 Drew Courtney (UVA) d. #118 Jonathan Wolff (WFU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Danny Kreyman (WFU) vs. Rajeev Deb-Sen (UVA) DNF; UVA leading 6-2, 3-2
6. Zach Leslie (WFU) vs. #72 Lee Singer (UVA) DNF; WFU leading 6-4, 2-2
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 3*