Deacons Drop A Heart Breaker To Georgia Tech 89-82
Asia Williams

Jan. 31, 2013

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Gary Petit, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeWBB)

ATLANTA, Ga. - In a game that featured 11 ties and 17 lead changes, it was a Georgia Tech run at the onset of overtime that propelled the Yellow Jackets to an 89-82 victory over Wake Forest Thursday evening at McCamish Pavilion.

The loss drops the Deacons to 10-11 on the year and 3-6 in the ACC. Georgia Tech snaps a six-game losing streak and is now 9-12 overall and 2-8 in the conference.

A number of Demon Deacons had solid games. Senior Asia Williams scored a career-high 20 points while dishing-out five assists and grabbing seven rebounds. Dearica Hamby, a Marietta, Ga., native, finished with 16 points and was one-shy of a career-high with 12 rebounds.

Fellow Georgia native Mykala Walker scored 12 points off the bench and grabbed three rebounds. Lakevia Boykin scored 15 points on 3-of-5 from beyond the arc and was one-off a career-high with six assists. Chelsea Douglas was the fifth Deacon in double-figures with 13 points, five rebounds and six assists.

For the Jackets, Tyuanna Marshall led the way with 28 points and 17 rebounds. Sydney Wallace was 4-of-11 from long range and finished with 23 points.

The difference in the end came down to the battle on the glass. Georgia Tech grabbed 44 rebounds compared to 36 for the Deacs but 24 of the 44 came on the offensive end. That led to 26 second chance points, with most of them coming at crucial moments.

The Deacons opened the game with a full court press and took an 11-5 lead just four minutes into the game. Tech then responded with a 7-0 run to take its first lead at 12-11 and then the teams exchanged the lead for the next four minutes. That's when a nice move inside by Williams for a lay-in sparked an 8-2 Deacon run that saw Wake take its largest lead of the half at 29-21 with seven minutes left in the half.

Tech slowly cut into the lead the rest of the half and after a final minute flurry on both ends, the Deacs would come away with a 34-33 halftime lead. Williams led the Deacs with 10 points at the half while Douglas had nine points and Boykin had five points and six assists. Wake shot an even 50 percent while Tech stayed in the game by going 11-of-14 from the line in the opening half.

Georgia Tech opened the second half on a 6-0 run to take a quick 39-34 lead. The Deacons then chipped-away and trailed just 43-42 with 13 minutes remaining. After a great offensive possession, Douglas finished it off with a three-point play to give Wake a 49-47 edge with 10:28 left.

The lead once again bounced back and forth until a three-pointer by Sydney Wallace gave Tech a 57-53 lead but Boykin answered with her second three-pointer of the game on the very next possession to make the score 57-56 with less than eight minutes to play.

The score stayed close until a Wallace three-pointer gave Tech a 67-64 lead with 1:04 left in regulation. A Douglas free throw cut the lead to two and after a GT missed free throw, Williams hit a pair of free throws with six seconds left to even the game at 69-69. Douglas then stole a pass in the Tech end and her half-court heave at the buzzer rattled in and out.

The overtime could not have started worse for the Deacs as they turned the ball over on the first five possessions and Tech scored 12-straight points to take an 81-69 lead just two minutes in. But the Deacons didn't quit as a three-pointer by Boykin kick-started a 9-0 Deacon run to make score 81-78 with 1:09 left.

After Marshall and Garcia traded baskets over the next 30 seconds, Tech would seal the game from the free throw line in the final 30 seconds.

The Demon Deacons will remain on the road as they travel to Raleigh, N.C. this Sunday to take on NC State at 2 p.m. Wake Forest won the first meeting this season, 69-56 in Winston-Salem.



Baseball Games