Deacons Pull Out 60-59 Victory Over UNC Wilmington

Nov. 14, 2012

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader | Photo Gallery

By Currie McFayden, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest survived a strong second-half rally and a last-second attempt by UNC-Wilmington to emerge with a 60-59 victory on Wednesday evening at Lawrence Joel Coliseum.

The win moves the Deacons to 2-0 on the season, while the Seahawks fall to 0-2.

UNC-Wilmington jumped out to an early lead on the Deacs behind four quick points by Jessica Freeman, and held a 13-10 lead heading into the first media timeout.

Wake Forest responded with a 7-0 run over the next five minutes to retake the lead. Lakevia Boykin kick-started the run with a three-pointer, and Chelsea Douglas added two buckets of her own to push the Deacs ahead.

Both sides played almost evenly over the final 10 minutes of the first half. Wake built its biggest lead with 4:45 remaining on a shot from outside the arc by Boykin that made it 28-22, but the Seahawks closed the gap and nearly evened the score heading into the locker room. Karneshia Garrett's layup with 37 seconds remaining cut Wake Forest's advantage to just two, 32-30.

The Deacs came out firing in the second half, building their biggest lead of the night shortly after the first media timeout of the half. They used a 9-1 run over the first five minutes, capped off by a great three-pointer by Douglas, to establish a 41-31 lead with 15:03 remaining.

UNC-Wilmington refused to go away, however. Despite falling behind by double-digits, the Seahawks fought back and went on a 13-3 run over a four-minute span midway through the half to cut Wake's lead to just two points. Kelva Atkins keyed the run by scoring seven of their 13 points.

A layup by Douglas with 9:35 left built the lead back up to four, and the Seahawks could not close the gap to fewer than that until a three-point basket by Tawanna Lee at the 2:52 mark that made the score 56-53.

Despite a furious rally over the last three minutes that including cutting Wake's lead to just one with 30 seconds remaining, UNC-Wilmington could not get the victory as Lee's three-pointer at the buzzer struck the front of the rim and was no good.

Boykin led all scorers with 18 points, and Douglas (14), Williams (10) and Hamby (10) also joined her in double figures. Kelva Atkins and Tawanna Lee led UNC-Wilmington with 13 points apiece.

The Demon Deacons shot 37.7 percent (23-of-61) for the game and were 8-of-14 (57.1 percent) from the free throw line, while UNC-Wilmington went 22-of-65 (33.8 percent) from the field and 10-of-15 (66.7 percent) from the charity stripe.

Wake Forest will go on the road for the first time this season in their next time out as the team travels to Lawrence, Kan., for a showdown with the No. 25 Jayhawks at 3:00 p.m. ET on Sunday afternoon. Kansas escaped Winston-Salem with a 74-73 victory last season on a layup by Keena Mays with just five seconds remaining. Live stats as well as a live broadcast of the game will be provided on



Baseball Games