Deacons Fall Short At No. 25 Kansas 64-58

Nov. 18, 2012

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Gary Petit, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

LAWRENCE, Kan. - Wake Forest pushed No. 25 Kansas to the brink in Allen Fieldhouse on Sunday but the Jayhawks pulled-out a 64-58 victory.

The loss is the first of the season for the Demon Deacons who are now 2-1 while Kansas stays perfect at 3-0.

Four Deacons scored in double-figures led by senior Lakevia Boykin with 15 points and five rebounds. Junior Chelsea Douglas and sophomore Dearica Hamby each finished with 12 points while senior Mykala Walker posted her third-career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Hamby also grabbed a season-high nine rebounds on the day.

For Kansas, Carolyn Davis scored 16 of her game-high 22 points in the second half to lead all scorers. Tania Jackson scored 11 points and grabbed nine rebounds while point guard Angel Goodrich finished with 13 points and three assists.

After getting out-rebounded in each of its first two games, the Demon Deacons won the battle on the glass 44-43. But in the end, Wake was done-in by shooting just 26.5 percent (9-of-34) in the second half.

The Deacons missed their first six shot of the game and KU took advantage, building a 12-3 lead. Kansas held that cushion and eventually took as much as an 11-point edge at 20-9. But over the next four minutes, the Deacons went on a 10-0 run thanks to buckets from all five starters to trim to lead to just one at 20-19.

Walker then made a nice driving lay-in and had a rebound and stick-back to give the Deacons their first lead of day at 23-20. The run continued as Hamby and Boykin scored on fastbreak lay-ups to push the lead to 27-20 with just under a minute to play in the half. In all, the Deacons closed the half on an 18-4 run and held Kansas without a field goal for the final eight minutes.

Walker led the way at the break with eight points, five rebounds and one steal. The Deacs shot 39 percent in the first half and limited KU to just 26.9 percent.

After missing a large portion of the first half with two fouls, Davis came out of the locker room and took over. She scored nine points in the first six minutes to put KU in front 39-37. The Jayhawks took a five-point lead at 44-39 after their first three-pointer of the day but Boykin answered on the other end with an old-fashioned three-point play.

The teams traded baskets for the next four minutes and KU found itself in front 51-47 with 4:35 left. The Jayhawks pushed the lead to up to five before the Deacs answered with a 7-0 run to take a 54-52 lead with 2:24 to play. Douglas made a pair of free throws and a huge three-pointer during the run.

After free throws on each end, the key series in the game came with just under a minute to play. Goodrich drove to the free throw line and knocked home a jumper to give KU a 59-56 lead with 42 seconds left. As Boykin pushed the ball up the floor, her pass to Douglas was tipped by Natalie Knight who then grabbed the ball and went the other way for a lay-in. That gave Kansas a 61-56 lead with only 30 seconds left.

Boykin knocked down two more free throws on Wake's end but the Jayhawks closed-out the game from the free throw line and held on for a 64-58 victory.

The Demon Deacons will head to the US Virgin Islands this week for the 2012 Paradise Jam. Wake will open the tournament on Thursday against top-ranked Connecticut and then play No. 14 Purdue on Friday and Marist on Saturday.



Baseball Games