No. 13 Deacons Drop Overtime Heartbreaker to Iowa, 3-2
Junior Jess McFadyen scored in the sixth minute and had a defensive save for Wake Forest.

Aug. 25, 2012

Photo Gallery | Final Stats | Final Stats (.pdf) | Tournament Central

By Currie McFayden, Wake Forest Media Relations (@SIDeacons)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - No. 13 Wake Forest suffered a heartbreaking overtime loss to No. 12 Iowa in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at Kentner Stadium on Saturday afternoon, dropping the 3-2 decision following the game-winning goal in the 82nd minute.

The Deacons open the season 0-1, while the Hawkeyes improve to 1-0. Both teams will be in action again on Sunday as Wake takes on No. 10 Michigan at 11:30 a.m. and Iowa faces No. 2 North Carolina at 2:00 p.m.

Iowa had an excellent opportunity to grab a lead in the third minute on a penalty corner. Niki Schultheis inserted the ball and Jessica Barnett fired a laser toward the goal, but Kaitlyn Ruhf stood tall and stonewalled the attempt.

Just three minutes later, junior Jess McFadyen struck for the Deacs. With a penalty corner of her own, McFadyen fired into the circle and found sophomore Anna Kozniuk, who immediately deflected the ball back to the Wellington, New Zealand, native who found the back of the net, tallying the first goal of the year for the Deacons.

The early offensive barrage from Wake Forest continued in the ninth minute as Krysta Wangerin, a freshman who got the call to start in her first collegiate game, beat goalkeeper Kathleen McGraw on a deflection. Wangerin's score marks the second straight year in which a Deacon has scored a goal in their collegiate debut after Kozniuk found the back of the cage last season. McFadyen was also in on the play yet again, providing the initial shot which ricocheted off McGraw.

The Hawkeyes threatened again late in the first half with three close shots in a two-minute span. Sarah Drake and Kelsey Mitchell's attempts were halted by Ruhf, while a second try from Drake sailed just wide of the goal. The defensive stand allowed Wake Forest to carry its 2-0 advantage into halftime.

Unfortunately, Iowa cut into that lead just one minute into the second half. Kelsey Mitchell drove almost to the midpoint of the circle before chipping a shot over the head of freshman Valerie Dahmen, who substituted in at the half to take Ruhf's place. Corinne Allen nearly added another goal just seconds later, but Dahmen made a fantastic save to preserve the lead.

McFadyen came to the rescue in the 47th minute, when a scrum in front of the goal created an open opportunity for Niki Schultheis. She was able to get the shot off, but the junior was credited with a defensive save after acting as the last line of defense to keep the ball out.

Iowa knotted things up at 2-2 at the 58:59 mark, following another chaotic scene in front of the goal Natalie Cafone's initial shot was blocked, and Dahmen registered a save on a shot by Corinne Allen as well. Unfortunately, Allen was able to gather the deflection and sent it past the freshman to tie the match and sent it into overtime.

The Deacs had a wealth of opportunities in the extra session, logging four penalty corners and three shots, but could not find the back of the cage. Christine Conroe had a pair of corners in the 77th minute, including one that produced a potentially stunning shot from Kozniuk that was blocked by a defender.

Ultimately, the match was decided by the new "own goal" rule introduced by the International Hockey Federation just after the Olympics this summer. Jessica Barnett fired a shot from outside the circle in the 82nd minute which grazed Ruhf and went into the cage. Despite being shot from outside the circle, the ball was considered live due to hitting an opposing player and Barnett was credited with the game-winning goal.



NCAA Tennis Central