No. 13 Wake Forest Falls to No. 4 Princeton, 4-2
Krysta Wangerin netted her second goal of the season to give Wake Forest an early lead on Sunday.

Sept. 2, 2012

Final Stats | Final Stats (.pdf)Get Acrobat Reader

By Currie McFayden, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest jumped out to an early lead over Princeton after Krysta Wangerin's goal in the second minute, but the Deacons ultimately fell 4-2 on Sunday afternoon at Kentner Stadium.

Following the loss, the Deacs fall to 1-2 on the season while Princeton maintained its perfect record and moved to 2-0.

Wake Forest grabbed the advantage early following a penalty corner by Jess McFadyen in the second minute. McFadyen inserted the ball into the circle where it ricocheted off a Princeton defender, finally settling in front of Wangerin. The freshman collected the deflection and sent it past goalkeeper Christina Maida to give the Deacs a 1-0 lead.

The Tigers responded in the ninth minute on a penalty corner of their own. Julia Reinprecht sent the ball in to Katie Reinprecht, who acted as the stopper for Kathleen Sharkey. Sharkey, who netted a hat trick against Duke on Friday evening, beat Kaitlyn Ruhf on the shot and leveled the game at 1-1.

Less than four minutes later, the Deacs struck again on yet another penalty corner, this time courtesy of senior Lizzie Rae. Rae, who led the team in scoring last season, tallied her first goal of the year with an assist from McFadyen on the corner. Her shot sailed past Maida and into the bottom corner of the cage to put Wake up 2-1.

Sharkey retailiated at the 14:17 mark for Princeton to knot the game at 2-2. The senior maneuvered through the Deacon defense almost untouched and had a wide open angle for her shot from just a couple of feet in front of the goal. Following her goal, the two sides played evenly through halftime.

Princeton came out firing in the second half behind Sharkey once again, who earned her second consecutive hat trick on her third goal at the 41:22 mark. Again, she found herself open on the right side of the circle near the goal and fired past Ruhf to give the Tigers their first lead of the day, 3-2.

Unfortunately for Wake Forest, Sharkey still was not quite done for the day. She tallied her fourth goal of the match with just under 20 minutes remaining, beating Ruhf with a blast from just in front of the cage to put Princeton up by their final margin of victory, 4-2.

The Deacons will return to action next Saturday afternoon as they continue their season-opening nine-game homestand against No. 5 Duke. The match will act as the ACC opener for Wake Forest as well, and is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. at Kentner Stadium.



NCAA Tennis Central