No. 13 Wake Forest Storms Back to Defeat Liberty
Oct. 1, 2017

Final Stats | Final Box (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader

By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeHockey)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The Wake Forest field hockey team rallied from two goals down to defeat Liberty, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon at Kentner Stadium.

After falling behind, 3-1, late in the first half, Rachel Hirsch cut the Deacs (6-5, 2-2 ACC) deficit to 3-2 heading into the break. Then, Wake Forest outscored the Lady Flames (4-6, 2-1 Big East), 2-0, in the second half, with Megan Anderson netting the game-winner in the 53rd minute.

The Demon Deacons controlled possession for most of the game, holding a 17-6 edge in shots. The team also played solid defense, as they allowed Liberty only one penalty corner for the game.

The Lady Flames raced out to a fast start, scoring on three of their four first half shot attempts. With Liberty on top, 2-0, Wake Forest got on the board on Nicola Pluta's fourth goal of the season. Jule Grashoff gained the circle on the right side and fed a perfect pass to Pluta, who beat the keeper to the right.

Unfortunately for the Deacs, Liberty answered just over two minutes later to again lead by two. However, the Demon Deacons found the back of the net in the 29th minute when Anderson's shot was deflected in by Rachel Hirsch.

In the second half, the Deacs defensive intensity picked up, as they held the Lady Flames to just two shots. Wake Forest tied the game in the 39th minute when Shannon Eby deflected Grashoff's shot off a penalty corner. Then, with less than 20 minutes to play, Karlee Spirit fed a short pass to Anderson, who converted a tough angle shot from in close to give the Deacs a lead they did not surrender.

Pluta led the Deacs with seven shot attempts for the game. Although Grashoff did not score for the second straight game, the junior from Germany tied a career-high with two assists.

Up next, the Deacs take to the road to battle Appalachian State this Wednesday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m.



NCAA Tennis Gear