Wake Forest Scores Twice in Final Two Minutes to Defeat Cal, 4-3

Oct. 12, 2007

Box Score

BERKELEY, Calif. - Trailing 3-2 with less than seven minutes to go in regulation, the third-ranked Wake Forest field hockey team scored back-to-back goals in the final two minutes of play to take down California, 4-3, Friday night at Maxwell Family Field. Senior Chelsea Cipriani scored her second game-tying goal to knot the score at 3-3 and sophomore Regina Shannon knocked in the game winner in the final minute.

With the win, Wake Forest improves to 8-4 on the season, while Cal drops to 8-4.

Down 2-1, the Demon Deacons emerged with the same drive to open the second half and after a Cipriani shot was saved, the Deacs' offense continued to claw its way in Bear territory. After Kim Romansky's shot was saved, Michelle Kasold found the ball and knocked in the game-tying goal at the 45:09 mark for a 2-2 score.

The two teams played back and forth before the Bears scored the go-ahead goal, 3-2, at the 57:08 mark. Despite Wake's obvious domination, fans were getting ready to celebrate Cal's first victory against the visiting Demon Deacons. But Cipriani silenced the crowd after scoring off an assist from Romansky at the 68:14 mark. With less than a minute left to play and the game looking to be decided in overtime, Shannon scored the game-winning goal at the 69:34 mark for the Deacs fifth straight victory over Cal.

Before the Deacs' two goals, Liz Fries received a penalty stroke at the 63:04 mark, but the ball hit the post. 

Three goals were scored in the first half within a three-minute span. Cal was on the board first with a goal at the 20:56 mark, but Cipriani responded with a game-tying goal less than a minute later to knot the score at 1-1.



The Bears took possession and immediately received a penalty corner, taking advantage of the scoring opportunity as Jennifer Crane put the home team back up one goal at the 23:49 mark.

Aileen Davis took one more shot before the half ended, but Cal goalkeeper Kelly Knoche made her eighth save of the half en route to a final 14 saves.

Wake Forest controlled much of the opening minutes of the game as it got off six shots, including four on goal before Cal would take any of its own.

Wake out shot Cal 25-10 with Kasold leading all players with seven shots, while Cipriani added six shots. The two Deacs combined for 11 shots on goal. Minou Gimbrere added four shots and Liz Fries had three including the penalty stroke late in the game. Crystal Duffield, back in the net for the Deacs, recorded three saves in the victory.

Wake Forest is back in action on Sunday when it heads to Stanford, Calif. to take on Pacific at 5 p.m. ET and the Stanford Cardinal on Monday at 7 p.m. ET.

NCAA Tennis Central