Gameday Central: No. 13 Wake Forest Hosts No. 3 Virginia, Liberty
The Deacs host the No. 3 Cavaliers on Friday before stepping out of conference to play the Lady Flames
Sept. 28, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeHockey)
|Gameday Central | No. 13 Wake Forest vs. No. 3 Virginia and Liberty
| Game 1
||No. 13 Wake Forest vs. No. 3 Virginia - Friday, Sept. 29, 6:00 p.m.
|| Live Stats
| Game 2
||No. 13 Wake Forest vs. Liberty - Sunday, Oct. 1, 1:00 p.m.
|| Live Stats
||Winston-Salem, N.C. (Kentner Stadium) Facility Info
||Game Notes | @WakeHockey
- No. 13 Wake Forest returns to ACC play to host No. 3 Virginia on Friday, Sept. 29 at 6 p.m.
- Then, on Sunday, Oct. 1, the team concludes its two-game homestand with a nonconference contest against Liberty at 1 p.m.
Last Time Out:
- The Deacs fell at No. 16 Louisville, 3-2, in a shootout last Friday, Sept. 22. It was the team's first shootout since Sept. 11, 2010, when they defeated Duke, 3-2.
- Wake Forest rebounded last Sunday, Sept. 24 with a convincing 4-1 win over Miami University in a neutral site game played in Louisville. The Deacs totaled a season-high 17 shots and held the Redhawks to five.
- The Demon Deacons own an 18-23 all-time record against Virginia. The Cavaliers have won three straight over the Deacs, including two wins last year. In the last meeting between the two teams, Virginia eliminated Wake Forest in the ACC Tournament semifinals with a 3-2 overtime win on Nov. 4, 2016.
- Wake Forest has defeated Liberty in each of the last two seasons, including a 3-1 win at Liberty last season on Oct. 30, 2016.
Wake Forest Storylines:
- The Deacs sit at No. 13 in the NFHCA weekly poll, after winning four of their last five games.
- Junior forward Jule Grashoff has scored at least one goal in each of the last five games.
- Nicola Pluta added another goal in the team's win over Miami University on Sept. 24. Pluta has scored three times in five games and the Deacs own a 4-1 record in the games she has played.
Scouting the Opponents:
- The No. 4 Cavaliers are off to a 9-1 start and sit atop the ACC standings at 2-0.
- Virginia leads the nation in scoring average (6.0 goals per game) and scoring margin (+4.67 per game).
- Virginia's Tara Vittese leads the NCAA with 19 goals this season. Two players are tied for second with 12 goals each. One of those players is Cavalier freshman Pien Dicke.
- Liberty is off to a 3-5 start under the direction of first-year head coach Nikki Parsley. The Lady Flames lost, 1-0, at Quinnipiac and at Yale, on Sept. 22 and 24.
K-9 in Kentner:
- Fans are encouraged to bring their dogs to Kentner Stadium for Friday's night's 6 p.m. contest between No. 13 Wake Forest and No. 3 Virginia. Dogs must be on a leash. Admission is free for everyone.
Cookies, Coffee and Hockey:
- To celebrate National Homemade Cookie Day on Sunday, Oct. 1 and International Coffee Day on Sept. 29, come watch the Deacs take on Liberty at 1 p.m. and enjoy cookies and coffee at Kentner Stadium.
- The Deacs take a trip to Boone, North Carolina to face App State on Wednesday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m.