Gameday Central: No. 12 Wake Forest at No. 2 Duke, No. 17 James Madison
The Deacs take to the road for a pair of top-25 matchups over the weekend.
Oct. 12, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeHockey)
- No. 12 Wake Forest returns to conference play, as it makes the short trip to Durham to take on No. 2 Duke this Friday, Oct. 13 at 6 p.m. Then, the team steps out of conference with a road game at No. 17 James Madison on Sunday, Oct. 15 at 1 p.m.
Last Time Out:
- The Demon Deacons continued their offensive resurgence with a 6-2 win over Richmond on Sunday, Oct. 8.
- The Deacs scored four second-half goals to win their third game in a row.
- Jule Grashoff tied her career-high with three assists and added her team-leading 11th goal of the season.
- Nicola Pluta added a seaon-high two goals in the win. The sophomore from Germany has scored seven times in just nine games played.
- Wake Forest has won 30 of the 72 all-time meetings against the Blue Devils.
- Duke has won five of the last six meetings between the two teams. However, the Deacs prevailed, 2-1, the last time the teams met in Durham (Sept. 11, 2015).
- The Demon Deacons have won 10 of the 13 previous matchups against James Madison, inclduding five straight. The Dukes last defeated the Deacs on Sept. 8, 2002. Wake Forest took the last meeting between the teams, a 5-1 win at Kentner Stadium on Oct. 20, 2013.
Scouting the Opponents: - The Blue Devils are tied with the Demon Deacons at 2-2 in the ACC. Both teams sit one game back of conference leaders North Carolina, Louisville and Virginia, who are each 3-1.
- Duke's 13 goals allowed are tied for the second fewest allowed in the ACC. Only Syracuse (eight) has allowed fewer.
- James Madison looks to rebound off a 5-2 loss suffered at the hands of No. 8 Delaware in its last game.
- Against common opponents with Wake Forest, the Dukes defeated Richmond, 5-1, lost to North Carolina 3-0 and lost at Louisville, 4-1.
Wake Forest Storylines:
- The Deacs sit at No. 12 in the NFHCA weekly poll, after winning seven of their last nine games.
- Jule Grashoff ranks third in the ACC in points (32), goals (11) and assists (10). The junior form Germany has recorded at least two assists in four of her last five games.
- Wake Forest returns home to host its final ACC contest of the season next Friday, Oct. 20 against Boston College. Then, in the team's penultimate game of the regular season, the Deacs will take to the road to battle Davidson on Oct. 22 at 1 p.m.