Gameday Central: No. 13 Wake Forest vs. American
The Demon Deacons host the Eagles in their final regular season game.
Oct. 26, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeHockey)
- No. 13 Wake Forest returns home to play its regular season finale, as the team hosts American on Friday, Oct. 27 at 6 p.m. Before the game, six Demon Deacon seniors will be honored on Senior Night at Kentner Stadium.
Last Time Out:
- The Demon Deacons delivered a pair of shutouts, defeating No. 9 Boston College, 3-0, on Friday, Oct. 20 before blanking Davidson, 4-0, on Sunday, Oct. 22 in the team’s final road game.
- Against Boston College, Wake Forest held the Eagles to just four shot attempts and two penalty corners in the team’s first shutout of the season. Sophomore Kelsey Gill scored her first career goal, while Jule Grashoff added a second-half goal to put the game away.
- On Sunday, Oct. 22, the Demon Deacons scored three times in the first half and held Davidson without a single shot attempt for the first time all season. Wake Forest Storylines: - The Deacs sit at No. 13 in the NFHCA weekly poll for the second consecutive week.
- Jule Grashoff ranks third in the ACC in points (43), goals (15) and assists (13). The junior from Germany trails ACC leaders Tara Vittese and Nadine de Koning by just one for the ACC lead in assists.
- Redshirt senior back Shannon Eby earned ACC Defensive Player of the Week honors after anchoring a Demon Deacon back line that posted two consecutive shutouts. Eby also added the game-winning goal in the team’s 4-0 win over Davidson on Oct. 22. She is the seocnd Wake Forest player to earn an ACC Player of the Week award this season, joining Nicola Pluta, who won ACC Offensive Player of the Week on Sept. 18 after a game-winner at then No. 2 Syracuse.
- Wake Forest has won seven of the 10 previous matchups with the Eagles.
- The Demon Deacons and American last met in 2013, with the Deacs prevailing, 3-2, in a double overtime road win.
- Wake Forest has never lost to the Eagles at home, posting a 5-0 career record in Winston-Salem.
- The last time American defeated the Demon Deacons was on Sept. 11, 1998, a 2-1 overtime decision at a neutral site.
Scouting the Opponent:
- American has posted a 12-4 overall record in 2017, along with a 5-1 mark in Patriot League action.
- The Eagles are currently amid a three-game win streak and have won five of their last six contests.
- Against common opponents with the Deacs, American defeated Richmond, 5-4, in overtime and lost at Louisville, 2-1.
- American is led by longtime head coach Steve Jennings, who owns a 242-127 in his 19 years at the helm of the Eagles program.
- The Eagles are led by double-digit goal scorers Noor Coenen (13) and Haley Bowcutt (10). Bowcutt is also tied for the team lead with eight assists.
- Fans are encouraged to celebrate Halloween early by dressing up for our costume contest Friday night. The winner will be announced at halftime.
- Also, the first 85 students in attendance will get free Chick-Fil-A.
- Wake Forest will take on fifth-seeded North Carolina on Thursday, Nov. 2 at 11 a.m. in the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament. If the Deacs win that game, No. 1 seed Virginia awaits them in the semifinals. The 2017 ACC Tournament will be held at Trager Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky.