Gameday Central: No. 12 Wake Forest vs. No. 9 Maryland
The Demon Deacons take on the Terrapins in the NCAA Tournament First Round on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Durham.
Nov. 10, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeHockey)
| NCAA Tournament First Round | No. 12 Wake Forest vs. No. 9 Maryland
| FIrst Round
||No. 12 Wake Forest vs. No. 9 Maryland - Saturday, Nov. 11, 2:00 p.m.
||Live Stream | Live Stats
||Durham, N.C. (Williams Field at Jack Katz Stadium) Facility Info
||Game Notes | @WakeHockey
- No. 12 Wake Forest earned its way into the NCAA Tournament and will take on No. 9 Maryland on Saturday, Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. in Durham, North Carolina.
Last Time Out:
- The Demon Deacons fell, 3-2, to eventual champion North Carolina in the ACC Tournament Quarterfinals on Nov. 2.
- The Deacs allowed the Tar Heels to strike on their first corner of the game. Then, freshman Anne van Hoof tied up the score for Wake Forest with under 30 seconds remaining in the first half. North Carolina scored twice midway through the second half to create a two-goal cushion heading into the final minutes. Jule Grashoff scored her team-leading 16th goal of the season with five minutes to go, but the Demon Deacons fell one goal short.
Wake Forest Storylines:
- The Deacs moved up to No. 12 in the NFHCA poll after sitting at No. 13 for three consecutive weeks.
- Jule Grashoff finished the regular season ranked third in the ACC in points (44) and goals (15) and tied for the conference lead in assists (14). The junior from Germany ranks ninth in the ACC with 2.44 points per game.
- Wake Forest is looking to advance to the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2008. The Demon Deacons appeared in the semifinals in every season from 2000-2008.
- Wake Forest last played former ACC rival Maryland on Sept. 20, 2013 with the Terrapins topping the Deacs, 4-1, in College Park.
- Maryland owns a 10-game win streak in the series, with Wake Forest's last win occurring Nov. 2, 2007 in the ACC Tournament.
- The teams have met three times in the NCAA Tournament with the Terrapins owning a 2-1 record. Wake Forest defeated Maryland in the semifinals in 2004 on the way to its third-straight championship. In 2005, the Terrapins denied the Demon Deacons a fourth title in five years by defeating the Deacs in the 2006 finals. Maryland also defeated the Deacs in the finals in 2008.
Scouting the Opponent:
- Maryland finished the regular season with a 13-6 overall record and ranked No. 9 in the NFHCA poll.
- The Terrapins concluded Big Ten play with a 6-2 record and fell to No. 6 Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament Semifinals.
- Despite the loss to the Nittany Lions, Maryland held an 18-8 shot advantage in the game.
- The Terrapins have made the NCAA Tournament in 23-straight seasons.
- This season, Maryland is led by senior midfielder Lein Holsboer, who leads the team in goals (11), assists (11) and points (33). Freshman defender Bodil Keus is second on the team with 10 goals.
- Fans can buy tickets on goduke.com/tickets. They are $5 for adults and $3 for children/seniors/students.
- Tickets will also be sold at the gate.
- If the Demon Deacons defeat Maryland, they will take on either No. 2 seeded Duke or Miami University. The Deacs played both teams during the 2017 regular season, falling, 2-1, at Duke on Oct. 13 in Durham. Wake Forest defeated Miami University, 4-1, on Sept. 24 in a neutral site game in Louisville.