No. 7 Deacons Falter in 3-0 Loss to Hokies
Riley Ridgik took two shots against Virginia Tech

Oct. 24, 2012

Final Stats | Final Stats (PDF)Get Acrobat Reader

By Alex Botoman, Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@SIDeacons)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Katie Yensen set the tone for Virginia Tech by scoring in the second minute as the Hokies went on to defeat No. 7 Wake Forest 3-0 on Wednesday at Spry Stadium.

The Demon Deacons close out the regular season at 12-4-3 (6-3-1 ACC), good for a tie for second place in the ACC standings, which equals their 2007 and 2000 performances as their best-ever conference finish.

Wake Forest will be the No. 3 seed in the 2012 ACC Championship and will host the quarterfinal round on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Spry Stadium. The Deacons open against the tournament's No. 6 seed, which will be determined by tomorrow night's slate of games.

"We have to throw this game out," said head coach Tony da Luz. "There's a lot of things for us to be proud of from our regular season. We finished tied for second place in the toughest league in the country. We have an extra day's rest heading into Sunday's game, and whoever we play is going to be a very difficult game."

The Hokies (13-5-1, 4-5-1 ACC) went into the game needing at least a point to keep their hopes of earning a berth in the ACC Championship alive and stunned the Demon Deacons with two early goals. Only 11 minutes after Yensen's second-minute score, Ashley Manning found the back of the net on a turnaround shot to give Virginia Tech a 2-0 advantage. Jazmine Reeves tacked on an insurance goal in the 67th minute to help seal the win.

"This is just the strength of our league," said da Luz. "If you don't show up for a game in our league against anyone, you're going to lose. We didn't defend the whole game, but the first 20 minutes are so critical, and any ball that went into our box, we were nonexistent."

Virginia Tech will be the No. 8 seed in the tournament unless Miami beats regular-season champion Florida State on Thursday - a result that would leave the Hokies out of the tournament.

Katie Stengel's four-match scoring streak came to an end as the Hokies held Wake Forest's leading scorer without a shot for only the third time in her career. The Demon Deacons failed to find the back of the net for the first time since a 1-0 loss at Florida State on Sept. 16.

The Hokies drew first blood just 97 seconds into the match. Shannon Mayrose cut in from the left and scuffed a shot that made its way off of Bledsoe and hit the left post. Yensen was there to score on the rebound, putting Virginia Tech in front 1-0.

Manning made it 2-0 Virginia Tech in the 13th minute. Kelsey Loupee served a corner kick that found the feet of Kelsey Mitchell in the box. Mitchell played the ball to Manning who hit a turnaround shot that found its way inside the far post.

Reeves tacked on the third goal in the 67th minute. Mayrose sent a through ball to her and she outran the Wake Forest defense before dribbling around Bledsoe and slotting home the finish.



NCAA Tennis Central