Soccer Gameday: No. 23 Wake Forest vs. Pitt
The Demon Deacons open ACC play Friday, Sept. 15 against Pitt
Sept. 14, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeWSoccer)
• The Demon Deacons open ACC play against Pitt in Spry Stadium on Friday, Sept. 15 at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra and takes place during Wake Forest's Homecoming Weekend.
Last Time Out
• After 110 minutes, the Demon Deacons and Michigan Wolverines played to a scoreless draw at Michigan on Sept. 10. The Deacs went 1-0-1 on their two-game Big Ten road trip.
Wake Forest Storylines
• Wake Forest women's soccer is nationally ranked for the first time since 2014 when the team began the season ranked No. 14 by Soccer America and No. 21 by the NSCAA. Currently, the Demon Deacons are ranked No. 18 by Soccer America and TopDrawerSoccer and No. 23 in the United Soccer Coaches poll.
• The Demon Deacons' offense is among the best in the conference. Through eight games, the Deacs lead the ACC with 58 points (19g, 20a). The 20 assists lead the league while the goals are tied for the lead.
• Wake Forest finished the 2016 slate with seven shutouts. The Demon Deacons have recorded five shutouts through eight games this season.
Scouting the Panthers
• This will be the third meeting in program history between the Demon Deacons and the Panthers. The series is tied 1-1, with each program recording a win at home. The two teams last met in Pittsburgh on Sept. 24, 2015 when Pitt defeated the Deacs 2-1 in overtime.
• The Panthers are coming off a 3-0 loss to No. 22 Nebraska and are on a three game losing streak. The Panthers have not scored since a 3-1 win over Detroit Mercy on Aug. 30.
• Taylor Pryce has recorded eight points this season on three goals and two assists.
Preston in the Spotlight
• Senior keeper Lindsay Preston made a diving save in the scoreless draw at Michigan.
• The play ended up as the No. 3 play on the SportsCenter Top 10 on Tuesday, Sept. 12.
• This is the second year in a row that a Wake Forest soccer program has had an SCTop10 play, as Ema Twumasi's bicycle kick during the men's game against Cal Poly was featured in the Top 10 as well.
• After the contest against Pitt, the Deacs will embark on a three-game road trip that consists of Syracuse on Sept. 21, Boston College on Sept. 24 and Notre Dame on Sept. 29.