Deacs to Face No. 4 Seed Penn State in NCAA Second Round
Nov. 20, 2013
Live Twitter Updates | Live Stats (GameTracker) | Free Video Stream | Buy Tickets
Wake Forest Notes (PDF) | NCAA Women's Soccer Bracket
Deacons to Face Penn State in NCAA Second Round
The Last Meeting
November 20, 2011
ELITE: Deacons Reach Final Eight With 4-2 Win Over Penn State
Katie Stengel scored twice to set a new Wake Forest single-season goals record and Aubrey Bledsoe made a career-high 11 saves in net as the top-seeded Demon Deacon women's soccer team prevailed over fourth-seeded Penn State in a 4-2 goalfest on Sunday at Spry Stadium in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Wake Forest will take on fourth-seeded and 24th-ranked Penn State on Friday at 4 p.m. at Virginia's Klockner Stadium in Charlottesville, Va.M
- The game will be streamed for free online on VirginiaSports.com.
- Live updates will also be available on the Wake Forest women's soccer Twitter account @WakeWSoccer.
- Wake Forest and Penn State are meeting for the second time in postseason play. The Demon Deacons defeated the Nittany Lions 4-2 in the third round of the 2011 NCAA Championship on their way to the College Cup
Wake Forest Beats Morehead State in Opening Rd.
- Wake Forest shut out OVC champion Morehead State 2-0 on Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Championship.
- Courtney Owen and Riley Ridgik scored goals 34 seconds apart - the third-shortest interval between goals in school history - to give the Demon Deacons the win.
- Owen's goal was the first of the senior's career, coming in her fourth career start.
- Wake Forest has reached the second round for the eighth season in a row. The Deacons are one of only seven teams in the country with eight-straight second round appearances.
- Riley Ridgik tied a school record by scoring in her fifth-straight game against Morehead State. Ridgik has scored 11 goals this season, tied for the seventh-highest single-season total in program history.
- With 59:42 minutes played against Penn State, goalkeeper Aubrey Bledsoe would move into second place in NCAA Division I history for minutes played by a goalkeeper. Bledsoe has started all 92 games of her Wake Forest career.
- Aubrey Bledsoe is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award. Fans are encouraged to vote for Aubrey at SeniorClassAward.com.
- The winner of Friday's game will take on the winner of the second round game between No. 1 seed Virginia and Georgetown on Sunday at 5 p.m. in Charlottesville.