Wake Forest Women's Tennis Squashes #37 Texas A&M, 6-1
March 9, 2005
College Station, Texas - The Wake Forest women's tennis team snapped a three match losing streak with a dominate 6-1 victory over Texas A&M, Tuesday night. The Demon Deacons clinched all but one singles match and two of the three doubles matches en route to their fifth victory of the season.
With the victory, the Deacs improve to 5-4 overall, while the Aggies drop to 5-9 on the season. Wake Forest will return to the court to open ACC play on Saturday, March 12 against #17 Georgia Tech.
Against the Aggies, senior Karin Coetzee won her fourth straight match defeating #75 Anna Lubinsky, 6-3, 6-0, while also taking home her second consecutive doubles victory with redshirt-freshman Alex Hirsch, 8-6, over Lubinsky and Lauren Walker. Hirsch also took home a victory in the third singles position, with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Anna Blagodarova.
Rounding out the victories for the Deacs, senior Katie Martzolf defeated Lauren Walker, 6-2, 7-6 (5) in the fourth position, while freshman Jenna Loeb defeated Tiffany Clifford in the only three set match of the night, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1. Senior Danielle Schwartz took home the final singles victory with a 6-3, 7-6 victory over Seva Iwinski, 6-3, 7-1 (1).
2. (#84) Helga Vieira, A&M def. (#72) Ashlee Davis, WF, 7-5, 6-0
3. Alex Hirsch, WF def. Anna Blagodarova, A&M, 6-2, 6-3
4. Katie Martzolf, WF def. Lauren Walker, A&M, 6-2, 7-6 (5)
5. Jenna Loeb, WF def. Tiffany Clifford, A&M, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
6. Danielle Schwartz, WF def. Seva Iwinski, A&M, 6-3, 7-6 (1)
Doubles (WF wins the point)
1. Coetzee/Hirsch, WF def. Lubinsky/Walker, A&M, 8-62.