No. 26 Wake Forest Downs Louisville in Home Finale
Emma Davis became the 30th player in team history to pick up 50 wins in a single season.
April 15, 2018
Final Stats | Final Box (PDF)
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeWTennis)
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The No. 26 Wake Forest women's tennis team took down Louisville, 5-1, in its regular season home finale on Sunday afternoon.
The Demon Deacons (17-10, 5-7 ACC) raced out to a 1-0 lead with a strong performance in doubles. Although the Cardinals (13-10, 3-9 ACC) made a late rally, the Deacs shut the door on the comeback and emerged with a bounce-back victory.
Chandler Carter and Emma Davis delivered a dominant doubles performance, winning 6-0 over Louisville's 48th-ranked duo of Abbie Pahz and Mariana Humberg. Wake Forest clinched the point as Mary Caroline Meredith and Eliza Omirou picked up a 6-3 win at No. 2.
The win for Davis was her 50th overall win this season, making her just the second Deacon to accomplish the feat in the past 14 years as Louisa Fernandez reached 50 wins in the 2015-16 season. Davis and Carter's victory moved the pairing up to 14th in team history for wins by a doubles team.
The Demon Deacons continued their momentum into singles play, as Omirou quickly dispatched Humberg, 6-1, 6-0 to give the Deacs a 2-0 match lead.
After the Cardinals put a point on the board with a win at No. 6, Anna Ulyashchenko won, 6-2, 6-4 seconds later at No. 5 to put the Deacs within a point of clinching the match.
With three matches remaining that split the first two sets, M.C. Meredith gave the Deacs the well-earned victory with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 triumph at No. 4.
Davis picked up win number 51 on the season, rallying from losing a first-set tiebreaker to take the second set, 6-4. With the outcome of the match decided, Davis outlasted Aleksandra Mally to win the third-set match tiebreaker, 11-9.
Carter led, 5-3, in the third set when the match was ended due to inclement weather.
Up next, the Deacs head to the road for their final two regular season matches of the season. Wake Forest is back in action at Boston College this Friday, April 20 at 3 p.m.
1. No. 34 Emma Davis / Chandler Carter (WF) def. No. 48 Abbie Pahz / Mariana Humberg (LOU) 6-0
2. Mary Caroline Meredith / Eliza Omirou (WF) def. Sena Suswam / Ariana Rodriguez (LOU) 6-3
3. Alexis Franco / Anna Ulyashchenko (WF) vs. Raven Neely / Maya Smith (LOU) 5-4, unfinished
1. No. 26 Emma Davis (WF) def. Aleksandra Mally (LOU) 6-7 (2-7), 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)
2. No. 125 Eliza Omirou (WF) def. Mariana Humberg (LOU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Chandler Carter (WF) vs. Abbie Pahz (LOU) 7-6 (7-5),
4. Mary Caroline Meredith (WF) vs. Tiffany Huber (LOU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Anna Ulyashchenko (WF) def. Raven Neely (LOU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sena Suswam (LOU) def. Courtney Meredith (WF) 6-4, 6-2