Tennis Central: No. 12 Wake Forest vs. No. 2 Duke, Virginia Tech and Elon
The Deacs welcome No. 2 Duke this Friday, March 2 at 4 p.m. in their ACC home opener.
March 1, 2018
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeWTennis)
| Tennis Central | No. 12 Wake Forest vs. No. 2 Duke, Virginia Tech and Elon
| Match 1
||No. 12 Wake Forest vs. No. 2 Duke - Friday, March 2, 4 p.m.
| Match 2
||No. 12 Wake Forest vs. Virginia Tech - Sunday, March 4, 12 p.m.
| Match 3
||No. 12 Wake Forest vs. Elon - Sunday, March 4, 4:30 p.m.
||Live Stats and Video
||Winston-Salem, N.C. (WF Tennis Complex) Facility Info
||Match Notes | @WakeWTennis
• The No. 12 Demon Deacons return home for three matches this weekend.
• First, the Deacs welcome No. 2 Duke this Friday, March 2 at 4 p.m. in their ACC home opener.
• On Sunday, March 4, Wake Forest will play two matches, starting with ACC foe Virginia Tech at 12 p.m. The team will conclude the weekend by hosting Elon at 4:30 p.m.
Last Time Out:
• Wake Forest finished with a 2-1 record at the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Alabama.
• The Demon Deacons began the tournament with a 4-0 sweep over UAB on Feb. 23.
• Then, the Deacs took down No. 31 Alabama, 4-2, in the semifinals before falling, 4-3, to No. 5 Illinois in the championship match.
Deacs in the Rankings:
• After an 8-3 start to the season, the Demon Deacons have soared up the national rankings.
• In the ITA’s weekly poll, the Demon Deacons find themselves at No. 12.
• Wake Forest has two players in the top 100 of the ITA’s singles rankings. Junior Emma Davis has moved all the way up to No. 33, while Eliza Omirou comes in at No. 63.
• Davis’s No. 33 national ranking is the highest singles ranking for a Deac since 2011.
• The duo of Emma Davis and Chandler Carter sits at No. 31.
• The No. 2 Blue Devils are off to an 8-1 start. Their only loss was to No. 1 North Carolina in the championship match of the ITA National Indoor Championships.
• Virginia Tech has started the year at 8-0. The Hokies defeated Clemson, 7-0, in their only ACC match this season.
• The Phoenix sit at 5-6 in 2018 and are trying to break a two-match losing streak.
• Wake Forest will break for a week before remaining at home to host a nonconference doubleheader next Sunday, March 11 against Winthrop and Liberty.