The Deacs will take on Ohio, the No. 2 ranked Nittany Lions and Yale in the two-day tournament.
Sept. 14, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeVolleyball)
|Gameday Central | Wake Forest vs. Ohio, No. 2 Penn State and Yale
| Match 1
||Wake Forest vs. Ohio - Friday, Sept. 15, 5:00 p.m.
| Match 2
||Wake Forest at No. 2 Penn State - Saturday, Sept. 16, 10:00 a.m.
||Live Stream | Live Stats
| Match 3
||Wake Forest vs. Yale - Saturday, Sept. 16, 4:00 p.m.
||University Park, Pa. (Rec Hall) Facility Info |
||Match Notes | @WakeVolleyball
- The Deacs head to University Park, Pa. to take part in the Penn State Classic. It will be the final nonconference tournament of the season for the team, as they begin ACC play next week.
- First, Wake Forest takes on Ohio on Friday, Sept. 15 at 5 p.m.
- On Saturday, Sept. 16, the Demon Deacons will play two matches, starting at 10 a.m. against No. 2 Penn State. The team will conclude the tournament with a neutral site matchup against Yale at 4 p.m.
Last Time Out:
- The Deacs took home the title of the Wake Forest Invitational, going 3-0 to improve their overall record to 7-2.
- Wake Forest took down William & Mary, 3-1, last Friday before outlasting USC Upstate, 3-2, in their first five-set match of the season.
- Finally, the Deacs quickly dispatched Maryland Eastern Shore, 3-0, to win the tournament. Senior libero Caroline Wolf was named MVP, while Kylie Long and Katie Moore were named to the all-tournament team.
Wake Forest Storylines:
- The Deacs 7-2 start is their best through nine games since they also started 7-2 in 2014.
- The Deacs have had more or an equal number of blocks than their opponents in all nine matches this season.
- Sophomore Caroline Rassenfoss leads the ACC with 15 service aces.
- Wake Forest is 4-0 this season in four-set matches.
Scouting the Opponents:
- Ohio is off to a 6-5 start to the 2017 season. The Bobcats opened the season by winning the Courtyard by Marriott Invitational in Birmingham, Alabama.
- No. 2 Penn State is unbeaten in 2017, having won all seven of their matches. Head coach Russ Rose's 1,220 victories are the all-time record for Division I volleyball coaches and he has led the Nittany Lions to seven national championships in his 38 previous years leading the program.
- Yale has won four of its first six matches to begin 2017. The Bulldogs claimed the title of the Yale Invitational, which included a 3-0 victory over Clemson. The team won its first four matches of the season, before dropping their last two.
- The Deacs finally begin ACC competition, beginning next Friday, Sept. 22 with a trip to Durham to take on Duke at 6 p.m.
- Then, on Sunday, Sept. 24, the team returns to LJVM Coliseum for its ACC home opener against Clemson at 1 p.m.