The Deacs take on the Wolfpack on Friday, Oct. 6 at 8 p.m. Then, the team battles the Tar Heels on Sunday, Oct. 8 at 1 p.m.
Oct. 5, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeVolleyball)
- Wake Forest continues ACC competition, as the Demon Deacons make short road trips to NC State and North Carolina over the weekend.
- The Deacs get started on Friday, Oct. 6 at NC State at 8 p.m. The match will be broadcast on RSN and live streamed on ACC Network Extra. Then, the team heads to Chapel Hill to take on the Tar Heels at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 8. The match will also be on ACC Network Extra.
Last Time Out:
- The Deacs won their second-straight match on Friday, Sept. 29, as they cruised to a 3-0 home win over Boston College.
- The team’s two-match winning streak was snapped as they fell, 3-1, to Syracuse on Sunday, Oct. 1. The loss was the first that Wake Forest has suffered this year at LJVM Coliseum.
Wake Forest Storylines:
- Wake Forest sits at 10-6 (2-2 ACC) so far this season. The team’s 10 wins eclipses last year’s win total (nine).
- Senior outside hitter Kylie Long has enjoyed an outstanding senior season. Long leads the Deacs with 198 kills and is second on the team with 111 digs.
- Senior libero Caroline Wolf continues to move up the Demon Deacon record books. In the team’s match against Syracuse on Oct. 1, Wolf moved into second place in program history with 1822 career digs. She currently ranks eighth among active Division I NCAA players in career digs.
- The Deacs have been strong defensively in 2017. They are tied for third in the ACC in opponents hitting percentage (.176) and third in blocks per game (2.64). The team leads the conference in with 41 solo blocks this season.
Scouting the Opponents:
- After going 5-6 in nonconference play, NC State has raced out to a 4-0 start in league competition.
- The Wolfpack rank second in the ACC with a .260 hitting percentage and lead the league in kills per set (14.00).
- North Carolina was picked to finish first in the conference in the ACC Preseason Poll.
- The Tar Heels are off to a 5-7 start to the season and sit at 2-2 in the ACC.
- Wake Forest owns a 34-26 all-time record against NC State. The Wolfpack have taken four straight matches from the Deacs.
- From Oct. 17, 1998 to Nov. 4, 2010, the Demon Deacons won 25 straight matches, the longest winning streak by either team in the series.
- North Carolina has won 47 of the 61 matches between the two programs.
- The Tar Heels currently own an 11-match winning streak over the Deacs.
- Wake Forest has only won three times in Chapel Hill and its last win in the series occurred on Nov. 20, 2009 (3-2). The Deacs last win in Chapel Hill was on Oct. 27, 2001 (3-1).
- The Demon Deacons return home to host Florida State next Friday, Oct. 13 at 6:30 p.m. and Miami on Oct. 15 at 1 p.m.