Volleyball Central: Wake Forest vs. Florida State, Miami
The Demon Deacons return home to host the Seminoles and Hurricanes on Friday and Sunday.
Oct. 12, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeVolleyball)
- Wake Forest looks to snap its three-match losing streak as the team returns home to face Florida State and Miami over the weekend.
- The Deacs get started on Friday, Oct. 13 at 6:30 p.m. with a home contest against Florida State. The match will be streamed on ACC Network Extra. Then, on Sunday, Oct. 15, the Demon Deacons host Miami at 1 p.m.
Last Time Out:
- The Deacs lost a drawn-out first set, 32-30, at NC State on Oct. 6. The Wolfpack capitalized on the momentum and won the next two sets to take the match, 3-0.
- On Sunday, Oct. 8, Wake Forest narrowly missed out on its first win in Chapel Hill since 2001, falling in a five-set heartbreaker to the Tar Heels.
Wake Forest Storylines:
- Wake Forest sits at 10-8 (2-4 ACC) so far this season. The team’s 10 wins eclipses last year’s win total (nine).
- Senior outside hitter Kylie Long has enjoyed an outstanding senior season. Long leads the Deacs with 222 kills and is second on the team with 119 digs.
- Senior libero Caroline Wolf continues to move up the Demon Deacon record books. In the team’s match against Syracuse on Oct. 1, Wolf moved into second place in program history in digs. She currently ranks eighth among active Division I NCAA players with 1,849 career digs.
- The Deacs have been strong defensively in 2017. They are fourth in the ACC in opponents hitting percentage (.187) and allow the second fewest assists per set in the league (10.45).
- Florida State has taken 33 of the 40 all-time meetings between the two programs.
- The Seminoles have won the last nine meetings, with Wake Forest’s last win occurring on Oct. 22, 2010 in Tallahassee.
- The Demon Deacons last defeated the Seminoles at home on Oct. 21, 2005.
- Wake Forest has lost five straight to the Hurricanes, with the team’s last win coming on Oct. 25, 2013 in Winston-Salem.
Scouting the Opponents:
- The Seminoles jumped out to a 4-0 start to the season, but have lost three of their last four ACC matches. Florida State ranks fourth in the conference with a .233 hitting percentage for the season. The Seminoles sit at second in the league, averaging 16.36 kills per set.
- After winning its first nine matches of the season, Miami is currently suffering from a three-match slide. The Hurricanes were swept at Louisville and Florida State before suffering a 3-1 home loss to Pittsburgh.
Daddy-Daughter Dig and Date Night:
- For Friday night’s match against Florida State, it will be Daddy-Daughter Dig and Date Night at LJVM Coliseum.
- Daughters and dads are encouraged to come out and get their picture taken with the Deacon before the match. Then, after the match, there will be an opportunity for a daddy-daughter dance.
- The Demon Deacons embark on a four-match road trip, starting Friday, Oct. 20 with a 6:30 p.m. contest at Virginia Tech.