Gameday Central: Wake Forest vs. Duke, at Pitt
The Demon Deacons conclude their three-match homestand on Wednesday night against Duke before returning to the road to take on co-conference leader Pitt on Friday, Nov. 10.
Nov. 7, 2017
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeVolleyball)
- Wake Forest concludes its three-match homestand by hosting Duke on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 6:30 p.m.
- Then, the Demon Deacons travel to take on co-conference leader Pitt on Friday, Nov. 10 at 7 p.m.
- Both matches will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.
Last Time Out:
- The Demon Deacons fell, 3-0, in their return home against co-conference leader Louisville on Nov. 3.
- On Sunday, Nov. 5, the Deacs fell in a five-set heartbreaker to Notre Dame. After Notre Dame won the first and third sets convincingly, Wake Forest rallied back to take the second and fourth sets to send the match to a fifth, where the Fighting Irish prevailed, 15-13.
Wake Forest Storylines:
- Wake Forest sits at 11-15 (3-11 ACC) so far this season. The team needs just two more conference wins to match last season’s total of five.
- Senior outside hitter Kylie Long delivered her team-leading fifth double-double (18 kills, 25 digs) of the season on Nov. 5 against Notre Dame. Her 25 digs set a new career high.
- Senior libero Caroline Wolf continues to move up the Demon Deacon record books. In the team’s match against Syracuse on Oct. 1, Wolf moved into second place in program history in career digs. She needs just 24 more to tie the school record.
- The Deacs have been strong defensively in 2017. They are fifth in the ACC in opponent hitting percentage (.202) and allow the third-fewest assists per set in the league (10.88).
Scouting the Opponents:
- The Blue Devils are seventh in the ACC with an 8-6 record. After starting the conference season at 2-6, Duke has won six matches in a row, including a 3-1 win over co-conference leader Louisville on Sunday, Nov. 5.
- Pitt is tied for the ACC lead with a 12-2 conference record. The Panthers won their first nine ACC matches before falling in two straight to NC State and Louisville. Since then, Pitt has taken three consecutive matches.
- Duke has won 53 of the 67 all-time matches between the teams.
- The Blue Devils have won nine consecutive matches in the series, including a 3-1 win in Durham on Sept. 22, 2017.
- Wake Forest last defeated Duke on Nov. 20, 2012 in Winston-Salem.
- Pittsburgh has won five-of-six meetings over the Deacs. The Panthers swept the season series in 2016.
Million Meals Challenge:
- As part of Harris Teeter’s Million Meals Challenge, fans are encouraged to bring three canned food items to the match on Wednesday. Participants will receive a 5$ gift card to Harris Teeter while supplies last.
- The Demon Deacons will break for a week before returning to the road for matches at Syracuse and Boston College. The Deacs will battle the Orange on Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m. Then, the team will take on the Eagles on Sunday, Nov. 19 at 1 p.m.